Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Common Tread - BMW R 1250 GS versus Harley-Davidson Pan America: Trans-Atlantic ADV showdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 08:21 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,143 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by MCGMB
The tester in the article did drop both bikes down to 4th gear and repeated the roll-on comparison using high RPMs. The result was a dead heat.

Having ridden a Pan America, those results still astonish me, as the PA had a wonderfully powerful motor that felt torquey to *me*. I did not compare to a new 1250 GS though.

I miss remembered. I thought they did the second test at a slower speed, but reading the article again it does sound like it was at 60 MPH on the 4th gear test. Which does seem surprising.

The following users liked this post:
MCGMB (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 09:43 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 864 Likes on 511 Posts

There's not a big difference in hp, torque or weight between the two bikes. Gearing probably has a lot to do with that comparison. H-D said the clocked the PA at 130+ with the panniers on it. BMW listed a 2019 at 130.8 mph. Just watched a utuber pull 226km which converted to 140 mph. If the PA can match the "king of the hill" BMW that says a lot to me. Reading article like that I usually get the impression that the other bike is challenged with knocking the GS off the throne, not just comparing two similar but different bikes. It is an apples to apples comparison but it's a golden delicious to a Granny Smith. Apples yes but also very different with their own pluses and minuses that the buyer has to decide which one is right for him.

MCGMB (06-12-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 08:51 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
I miss remembered. I thought they did the second test at a slower speed, but reading the article again it does sound like it was at 60 MPH on the 4th gear test. Which does seem surprising.
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I saw a new GSA at the grocery store several months ago, and it looked like it was a VERY tall bike. It looked taller than the earlier ones. Was that just an optical illusion? And how does it look beside a PanAm?

Old 06-13-2021, 09:42 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I've ridden both, there's no way the GS is quicker. No way.

The GS/A is both taller and wider. Look at a head-on photo of one.....It's massive.

hdxbones (06-13-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 04:01 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,143 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I saw a new GSA at the grocery store several months ago, and it looked like it was a VERY tall bike. It looked taller than the earlier ones. Was that just an optical illusion? And how does it look beside a PanAm?

I haven't seen the two side by side to be able to compare them. I haven't even sat on a PA, just seen them at the dealership. I have ridden a buddies GSA, and it is a very tall bike, even with it's electronic suspension set as low as possible I could not flat foot it.

But, I believe that you are correct, the GSA is taller than the PA, especially if the PA has the adaptable ride height.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:29 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 497 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
The GSA is taller than the GS is. The GSA suspension travel is 8.3" front and 8.7" rear with a seat height of 35" in the low position and 35.8" in the high position. The GS has a suspension travel of 7.5" front and 7.9" rear with a seat height of 33.5" in the low position and 34.3" in the high position. Both have low chassis' available.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
The GSA is taller than the GS is. The GSA suspension travel is 8.3" front and 8.7" rear with a seat height of 35" in the low position and 35.8" in the high position. The GS has a suspension travel of 7.5" front and 7.9" rear with a seat height of 33.5" in the low position and 34.3" in the high position. Both have low chassis' available.
The BMW low chassis does reduce suspension travel though, which is one reason why the Harley ARH is such a good option for us short *****. Mind you, the GSA suspension is higher in the first place, so the low chassis suspension travel is probably more or less equal to the standard GS - or about that of the Pan America.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:40 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MCGMB
I've always liked Zach's Daily Rider (and earlier MC Commute) vids on YouTube.

Having taken a test ride on a Pan America (but not a new GS), and thinking it had a beast of a motor, this quote surprised me a lot:

"As an experiment we did a roll-on test at 60 mph, both bikes in top gear and spinning almost exactly 3,500 rpm: The 1250 GS walked away like the Pan America was towing a trailer."

Don't know what to say about it.
I own a 2020 GSA and test rode the PA. The GS felt faster to me and I liked the GS riding position over the PA. That doesn't make the PA suck, it is a very good ADV bike, but I preferred the GSA.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:03 PM
Senecagreen
Road Captain
Received 445 Likes on 201 Posts

Its ironic that at the same time Harley created a adventure bike to compete with BMW they created a heavyweight cruiser to compete with Harley.

The Pan Am is selling better than the R18. Bmw still seems to make better adventure bikes and Harley still seems to make better cruisers.

Harley obviously had a more successful effort in a area they had no experience in. Bmw has tried before and failed with the R1200c.

The following 4 users liked this post by Senecagreen:
'05Train (06-27-2021), Jed Clampett (06-27-2021), rauchman (07-06-2021), rhino1250 (06-27-2021)