Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Fix for Cardo Packtalk dropping audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 11:08 AM
hdxbones
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fix for Cardo Packtalk dropping audio

Like others have posted, my Packtalk Black had been dropping audio during music playback through the Pan America TFT pairing. I noticed it most when I turned my head to the left, I'm guessing it has to do with the bluetooth antenna placement on the bike. Anyway, I relocated the unit on my helmet as far forward as it would go, positioned the Packtalk unit antenna up, and used it for music playback on a ride that lasted a few hours this morning. I'm happy to report that I didn't experience any audio dropout at all since the changes. Hopefully this cures what was becoming an aggravating issue.

The following users liked this post:
HrishiP (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 12:43 PM
TN-Squirrel
Tourer
Received 247 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hdxbones
Like others have posted, my Packtalk Black had been dropping audio during music playback through the Pan America TFT pairing. I noticed it most when I turned my head to the left, I'm guessing it has to do with the bluetooth antenna placement on the bike. Anyway, I relocated the unit on my helmet as far forward as it would go, positioned the Packtalk unit antenna up, and used it for music playback on a ride that lasted a few hours this morning. I'm happy to report that I didn't experience any audio dropout at all since the changes. Hopefully this cures what was becoming an aggravating issue.
Very interesting… I too was having issues but with the Harley branded Sena unit (S20 if I remember correctly). My fix happened when I relocated my actual phone. Had it mount on the bar in front of the Info display, when I moved it to a new mount attached to the right control unit the drop off issues disappeared.

hdxbones (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 09:02 AM
hdxbones
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TN-Squirrel
Very interesting… I too was having issues but with the Harley branded Sena unit (S20 if I remember correctly). My fix happened when I relocated my actual phone. Had it mount on the bar in front of the Info display, when I moved it to a new mount attached to the right control unit the drop off issues disappeared.
My phone was already mounted on the right side, but good that yours was a simple fix as well

Old 09-16-2021, 05:19 AM
TN-Squirrel
Tourer
Received 247 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hdxbones
My phone was already mounted on the right side, but good that yours was a simple fix as well
sorry, I should have been more clear. I was agreeing with you that it probably has to do with the PAs Bluetooth antenna. Not meaning to draw a direct comparison between the two fixes as to phone placement

hdxbones (09-16-2021)
Old 01-11-2022, 04:32 PM
wigglemethis
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yep same

I have the same issue when I look left

Feelancer101 (04-10-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 06:36 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,970 Likes on 2,358 Posts

I have the dropping issue when I look left with both the HD branded Sena 20S and the HD Branded Sena 30K. Neither drop on my Road Glide, only on the PAS

Old 06-05-2022, 07:56 AM
Feelancer101
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange fix

I had the same issue when looking left with the IPhone set above the info screen. Tried everything moving the packtalk as far forward on the helmet as possible. Still no joy. So I uninstalled the HD app from the phone and no more issues?? Phone connected to bike headset connected to bike. It shouldn’t make any difference but it’s fixed mine 👍👍

Old 06-06-2022, 02:33 AM
bofh1599
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 53 Posts

That sound great and I will try it. I have tried 3 different headsets and spent nearly 60 USD on this problem, but uninstalling the HD app is worth a try.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:49 AM
Order66
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Same problem - relocating phone to the left and to the right, didn't work for me. My primary helmet is a Neotec 2, and there's no moving the Cardo further forward on that one. Tried another helmet with a more forward location, and it got marginally better, but still cutting out when doing head checks, etc. Not acceptable. I decided to abandon the media-playing aspect of the bike for now, but left the BT connection active for the 'navigation' and info status etc.

So now, my phone is connected by BT to my Cardo, and by BT to the bike, but the bike isn't connected to the Cardo. It's not ideal, but I've lived without audio controls on a bike before, and I guess I can do it again.

That said... still severely disappointed in the Motor Company not making CarPlay available on this bike when all the technology is right there, already onboard. But considering the shenanigans they're still pulling with the touring bikes and CarPlay, I guess I'm not surprised.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:54 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 467 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Order66
Same problem - relocating phone to the left and to the right, didn't work for me. My primary helmet is a Neotec 2, and there's no moving the Cardo further forward on that one. Tried another helmet with a more forward location, and it got marginally better, but still cutting out when doing head checks, etc. Not acceptable. I decided to abandon the media-playing aspect of the bike for now, but left the BT connection active for the 'navigation' and info status etc.

So now, my phone is connected by BT to my Cardo, and by BT to the bike, but the bike isn't connected to the Cardo. It's not ideal, but I've lived without audio controls on a bike before, and I guess I can do it again.

That said... still severely disappointed in the Motor Company not making CarPlay available on this bike when all the technology is right there, already onboard. But considering the shenanigans they're still pulling with the touring bikes and CarPlay, I guess I'm not surprised.
It's my understanding that because there is only 1 screen and that screen has the speedo etc, it can't have carplay on it. All the other models that have carplay have separate gauges for speedo etc

Quick Reply: Fix for Cardo Packtalk dropping audio