Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Sport cases or aluminum panniers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 02:47 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 480 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Sport cases or aluminum panniers?

Just curious on some pros and cons since I like the looks of both. Trying to decide...

Seems like the aluminums hold more and are top loading, but require brackets and aren't quick to take on/off....is that right?

Sport cases mount directly to the bike without brackets and come on/off quick and easy....but hold less and open from the side.

Am I missing anything? Any regrets with what one you picked? Thanks.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:12 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Aluminum here. I like having the rack - it's another piece of something for the bike to fall on, rather than the bike itself. I wish they'd put a cutout on the side with the pipe. The aluminum cases are bigger, and can be used as camp stools.

I've said this before: were I to use the bike primarily as a touring bike with nothing more than the occasional gravel road, the hot setup would be a Special with ARH, cast wheels, and the Sport luggage.

The following 2 users liked this post by '05Train:
6113_ (09-28-2021), Puglia10 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 03:34 PM
DEPANAM
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Have had both on other ADV bikes. The Aluminum cases do hold more but damn they're big and boxy, so much more so as there's no cutout for the exhaust.
The sport cases (plastic) are easier to use around town, are keyed to the bike's key (nice) and come off a lot easier, giving versatility.
If I were doing a lot of off-road (not on the PanAM) I would go with the soft luggage like Lone Rider. Had them on the KTM and loved them. They are a pain to put things in and take out, so a top case is needed.
Waiting for accessories to come in to the dealership, so I can decide.

The following users liked this post:
Puglia10 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:20 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 467 Likes on 307 Posts

I got the Aluminum because they look better... to me.

They are super simple to take off, unlock and flip the latch and their off. You do have the frame though when their off, I guess a reason to get the Sport Cases if you take them off a lot (no frame to worry about).

If you want to carry a lot, Aluminum are the way to go imo. You can fit a small family in that left case, the top and right hold a good amount too. Plus you can strap down a crap ton on top of them!

Probably overkill for most. As I said, I like the look so that's why I went that route.

Puglia10 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 05:02 PM
TN-Squirrel
Tourer
Received 247 Likes on 127 Posts

Panniers for me. With the number of long trips and the large amount of camping I do, its a no brainer.

Puglia10 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 08:50 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

I saw an evaluation on Utube the other day and the guy mentioned that the passenger grab handles on a Pan Am are plastic and will probably break if you try to pick the bike up with one of them; use the luggage rack was his advice. If you don't have a luggage rack, you better have a friend...

Old 09-22-2021, 09:42 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by judgedelta
I saw an evaluation on Utube the other day and the guy mentioned that the passenger grab handles on a Pan Am are plastic and will probably break if you try to pick the bike up with one of them; use the luggage rack was his advice. If you don't have a luggage rack, you better have a friend...
Just because they are plastic doesn't mean they'll break. My Super Tenere had plastic grab handles and I uses them to pick the bike up out of the ditch in an unfortunate circumstance. I also used those handles and two ratchet straps to hang the back of the bike frome the garage rafters when swapping rear shock springs.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:00 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I have the Aluminum which look great on the Pan Am, but I just ordered a pair of Mosko Moto 35L soft bags for my off-road camping trips.

https://moskomoto.com/collections/mo...35-pannier-kit

Puglia10 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 07:46 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
Just because they are plastic doesn't mean they'll break. My Super Tenere had plastic grab handles and I uses them to pick the bike up out of the ditch in an unfortunate circumstance. I also used those handles and two ratchet straps to hang the back of the bike frome the garage rafters when swapping rear shock springs.
They break. I know this because mine broke putting the bike on the center stand.

btreinen (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 12:17 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
They break. I know this because mine broke putting the bike on the center stand.
Well that sucks.

Quick Reply: Sport cases or aluminum panniers?