Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Has anyone fitted heated grips to a Standard RA1250?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 02:39 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
That's crazy.

I added heated grips to my 2019 Ultra Classic, they were plug and play, very simple installation.

I think heated grips should be standard on all motorcycles.
Can't argue with that. But it looks really hard to add them to the Pan-Am standard due to the missing (and blocked out) connectors in the switchgear. Also difficult to add non-HD heated grips due to the requirement for the RHS grip to interface with the drive by wire throttle.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:18 AM
StephanT
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I might have found a relatively cheap and yet clean solution... it seems that Oxford Products released a new generation of heated grips in 2021, they are called the EVO range and it is a completely new controller and set of grips, with.. wait for it.. a Thermistor in each grip, so the controller can control the temperature of each grip... And best of all, the Controllers are sold separately.. for around £45..

I've ordered a set, and will test... first we have to make sure that the Oxford grips use an NTC, then we need to check what value NTC it is (the HD ones are 50k @ 25C).. but I'm sure we can fiddle that to make it work... Let's see...

For anyone interested, there are two (actually 3) versions and they differ in length.. - if you were to want to go the whole Oxford hog.. and use their Heated Grips... you should order the "Adventure" version, as i measured the HD Tactical grips and they are 130mm exactly.. -> Oxford Hotgrips EVO Adventure (EL420)

Has anyone fitted heated grips to a Standard RA1250?-rsxsrxp.jpg

and if this works (finger's crossed) then you only have to oder the v9 controller -> Oxford Hotgrips EVO V9 controller - Motorcycle (EL425)

Has anyone fitted heated grips to a Standard RA1250?-eqjlfk0.jpg

Don't order anything just yet.. it all depends on the Thermistor that the Oxford grips use...

It also seems like the Oxford grips use a common ground for the Thermistor and heating element... (see only 3-pin connector and 3 wires..)

Has anyone fitted heated grips to a Standard RA1250?-szgoozv.jpg

I ordered a set of Adventures.. let's hope they get here by the weekend..

Stay tuned...

The following users liked this post:
Prykey (01-25-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 03:30 PM
depthsounder
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to express my appreciation and admiration for these posts. I love when people aren’t afraid to dig into the hardware and figure things out for themselves. I am having an issue with my right hand heated grip not working and your diagnostics have aided mine.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:52 AM
StephanT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by depthsounder
Just wanted to express my appreciation and admiration for these posts. I love when people aren’t afraid to dig into the hardware and figure things out for themselves. I am having an issue with my right hand heated grip not working and your diagnostics have aided mine.
just shout if you need anything else...

Old 01-26-2022, 09:27 AM
depthsounder
Novice

Thanks! I just got a subscription to the Harley SIP and a hard copy of the service manual so can finally proceed with my diagnostics. Your first question and rightfully so is why am I not taking the bike to the dealer. My bike is VIN flagged (imagine finding that out after buying a bike used!) by Harley and the service writers have made it clear that this makes warranty work difficult, nearly impossible. They don't really want to touch the bike so I'm trying to limit interactions unless I really need them. I don't want to develop a reputation for being a "difficult" customer if a truly catastrophic issue arises.

I am getting an error code from the left hand control module, but it's the right hand grip that isn't heating. The procedure from the service manual has you check the heater resistance: between 7-9 ohms, and the thermistor resistance between 50k-60k ohms. I have measured 6 different grips so far and all have been between 70k - 83k ohms. The error I am getting is a B11C262 1175 Heated grip status mismatch.

Old 02-04-2022, 02:38 AM
StephanT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by depthsounder
Thanks! I just got a subscription to the Harley SIP and a hard copy of the service manual so can finally proceed with my diagnostics. Your first question and rightfully so is why am I not taking the bike to the dealer. My bike is VIN flagged (imagine finding that out after buying a bike used!) by Harley and the service writers have made it clear that this makes warranty work difficult, nearly impossible. They don't really want to touch the bike so I'm trying to limit interactions unless I really need them. I don't want to develop a reputation for being a "difficult" customer if a truly catastrophic issue arises.

I am getting an error code from the left hand control module, but it's the right hand grip that isn't heating. The procedure from the service manual has you check the heater resistance: between 7-9 ohms, and the thermistor resistance between 50k-60k ohms. I have measured 6 different grips so far and all have been between 70k - 83k ohms. The error I am getting is a B11C262 1175 Heated grip status mismatch.
it is very misleading of the repair manual to state those variables, as they are temperature dependant... here is a guide to a 50k NTC... I don't know the exact brand and model of the NTC used in the grips, but this is near enough... have a look at the following:
Has anyone fitted heated grips to a Standard RA1250?-kobrpwq.png
you will see at 25C it is 50k, (hence it is defined as a 50k NTC), and at 20C it is 63k.. so your 70k - 83k could just mean your ambient temperature is between 15C and 16C ;-)

I like to use the divide and conquer principle.. here's what I would do.. (correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the left heated grip is working but the right one not..)
  1. I am assuming the other buttons on left grip are working ? => this implies the power supply and CAN bus connections to left grip are good
  2. I'm assuming the right side buttons are working? => this implies the power supply and CAN bus connections to left grip are good
  3. confirm left one working => this implies the actual grip is working (and the temp sensor etc as it is controlling the temperature)
  4. cycle through the heated grip button and make sure you can see the icon change on the instrument cluster.. that means the left switch set is correctly sending the CAN bus message (the instrument cluster is picking that up) and hence the "message" of what state the grips are in is on the bus, there for the right grip to listen too (the left switch controller is the master)
if all of the above work, then we need to figure out whether it is the grip itself or the right switch controller that is the issue... here I would do the following:
  1. make an extension cable that is long enough to go from the one side of the handlebars to the other.. (the connectors used are JWPF-4 (made by JST) ebay and amazon are full of them..
  2. next disconnect both heated grips and use the extension to connect the right side grip to the left controller..
  3. run through he heated grip tests... if the grip works, it is the right side controller and if it does not, it is the grip itself..
  4. you can double check by connecting the left grip to the right controller and repeating the tests...
let us know what you find

Old 02-08-2022, 08:28 PM
depthsounder
Novice

1. All other buttons are working on both sides, have tried every other function and no issues from either the right hand or left hand control.

2. I purchased 4 separate right hand grips on Ebay, all of them measure similarly, but I picked the one that matched the resistance of the left hand module most closely and tried it. It did not work and still gave the error.

3. The heated grip Icon shows a grip with an X through it. When the heated grip button is pressed the left hand grip heats. I cannot tell if it cycles through the different modes because the icon doesn't change from the X.

4. I dropped the bike off at the dealer for recall work and a chafed wiring harness. They swapped the RHCM from a known good bike and it worked fine with the existing right hand grip. Interestingly that same module was replaced one month ago by a Harley dealer due to some off road damage (customer pay, not a warranted repair).

They are denying the 1 yr parts and accessories warranty on the basis that this bike has a salvage title. Mind you, the dealer did not find that anything on the rest of the bike was faulty, just the RHCM that was recently replaced.

I'm going to order a new RHCM, if you would be interested in seeing the guts of a module I can tear down the old one or send it to you for your perusal.

-David