Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Slight wheel front wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 05:37 PM
HVMP
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bofh1599
Just got new Heidenau K60 Scout on: The Dots are where the vavle has to be, the lightest point of the tire is marked, not the heaviest.

Good to know. I'm not that smart.

The following users liked this post:
ChocolateCake (04-05-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 07:02 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,975 Likes on 2,360 Posts

From Metzeler website.

Motorcycle tires were originally specified by the manufacturer. Any other use could be dangerous. Check for directional arrows. If present, mount tire so that arrow points in direction of rotation. Some METZELER tires have a red dot in the tire sidewall to indicate the lightest point which should be positioned next to the valve. Clean and lubricate bead with tire mounting lubricant or soapy water.
To set bead:
  • Remove valve stem core and inflate tire.
  • In case device used permits inflating only with valve stem core installed, deflate a tube-type assembly after bead has seated, then reinflate to recommended riding pressure to allow the tube to seat properly.
  • Do not inflate more than 40 psi. Reinstall valve stem core and inflate to recommended riding pressure. Check bead control lines for proper seating. If the beads do not seat, deflate and repeat above procedure. METZELER tubeless tires may be used with METZELER tubes on tube type rims. When installing a tube in a METZELER tubeless tire do not tighten valve stem lock nut until tire is seated and inflated to proper riding pressure. Whenever you fit a tube care should be taken not to pinch the tube. Dust the tube with talcum powder. Always use a valve cap with rubber sealing .
From Dunlop website mounting and care

Dunlop street tires have balance dots in the bead or sidewall area to indicate the lightest point of the tire. All Dunlop street tires should be installed with these balance dots at the valve. All Dunlop street tires also have arrows on the sidewall, which indicate the correct direction of rotation.

Last edited by FLSTFI Dave; 04-06-2022 at 07:11 AM.
ChocolateCake (04-06-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 05:58 AM
bofh1599
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 53 Posts

Update on Software and off-road tires:

The Dealer changes settings in the IMU and parameters when and how the bike interacts with throttle and gas to support the rider. Was a 20 min task for about 40 bucks. Either I get quickly used to it or it was the change: The Pan America loves these tires, really, they are giving great feedback and grip on the road and off-road feedback follows.

The Anakee Wild rear tire was about 420 Euro, and I got front and rear Heidenau Scout K60 as package for 250 Euro, and the are a much better Allrounder tire for road and off-road.

Peace.

The following 3 users liked this post by bofh1599:
ChocolateCake (04-07-2022), eighteight (04-08-2022), HVMP (05-02-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 10:25 AM
HVMP
Intermediate

So I called the dealer, and said "humor me", and just check and rebalance the front wheel if necessary. I pick it up on the 15th. I'll let you know what happens

Old 04-08-2022, 11:24 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,311 Likes on 3,556 Posts

I fail to see how tire imbalance would only show itself on deceleration. You should feel it at the same speed(s) whether cruising, accelerating, or decelerating if balance is at issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by strych9:
Alex1981 (08-17-2022), eighteight (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 11:42 AM
HVMP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by strych9
I fail to see how tire imbalance would only show itself on deceleration. You should feel it at the same speed(s) whether cruising, accelerating, or decelerating if balance is at issue.
I may not have explained it correctly. It begins when decelerating to under 40 or so, then continues as long as you're cruising between 30-40. It's less noticeable under acceleration I presume because the front wheel is less weighted under acceleration.

FLSTFI Dave (04-09-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 11:55 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,311 Likes on 3,556 Posts

Originally Posted by HVMP
I may not have explained it correctly. It begins when decelerating to under 40 or so, then continues as long as you're cruising between 30-40. It's less noticeable under acceleration I presume because the front wheel is less weighted under acceleration.
Ah, ok, that makes more sense.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:58 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,683 Likes on 3,918 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9

If you read the first post carefully, I think the outstanding issue is a certain speed and he's just describing how he got there to it.

You are correct if that's the only time it does it. If it occurs on his daily ride on the stretch of highway, it could be the road.

A slight low speed dynamic out of balance is actually still out of balance at higher speeds. Do to road conditions, you just don't fill it unless it's bad

HVMP (04-08-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 09:35 AM
dtc100956
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HVMP;[url=tel:20541202
20541202[/url]]2021 PAS with ARH.

Slowing down from 40mph to about 30mph, like when you're decelerating to enter a town, I get a slight front wheel bounce. I can even feel it in a turn at those speeds. Wheel hop continues until you either go below around 30 or start to accelerate.

The bike is in storage so I can't check the wheel runout until mid-april. I mentioned it to my dealer and basically got the "tech could not replicate" response.

I haven't made any noise about it, because I want to check it myself before I go back to the dealer. When I had the bike I experimented with various suspension settings, and couldn't fix it.

Any ideas?
I do have exactly the same effect on my panam and the same dealer response. I have another dealer appointment in May and hope to find the root cause.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:43 PM
HVMP
Intermediate

I'm picking it up tomorrow a few days early, so we'll see if the wheel rebalancing did the trick.

Quick Reply: Slight wheel front wheel hop