Pan America Pan America Forum Only

PAS Bluetooth issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 08:36 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
Default PAS Bluetooth issues

Well - for me, my 2022 PAS has been an excellent purchase, entirely trouble free. Only 1400 miles in the last two months and I know that isn't much yet - but after reading of so many early issues with the 2021 crowd, I consider myself lucky. I will no doubt put at least 10,000 on the bike this year. I digress!

I have one complaint and I have seen this on the HD forum or another site but the Bluetooth is terrible. I have a Packtalk Bold Headset and iPhone that connects to the bike easy enough and if I am not riding, works fine. I can walk all around the bike and music is great without blackouts, etc. Go on a ride and it is unusable. But an interesting note is if I turn my head to the right (PTB is on the left side of helmet), all is good. Look straight ahead and it gets lousy, look to the left and gets worse. I suspected an antenna issue but an IT friend said that makes no sense. It would be an electrical interference, not an antenna block. I guess I could keep turning to the right but I would never get out of my driveway and get bored quick!!

Anyone else having the issue and found a fix? HD scratches their head and suggested their helmets with HD Sena! I was happy to find out the PAS did not require the Harley WHIM but come on HD - it should work and is not new technology! An obvious "fix" is to just continue the phone to headset connection without joining to the bike but having the music controlled on the handlebar control and on screen is nice.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:46 AM
Moogoomike
Advanced
Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

I connected my phone and Sena to the bike when it was new, but had so many problems that I disconnected both a few days later and just reconnected the phone to the Sena. Just as easy to control everything, and no issues. Removed the HD app from my phone as well.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:45 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by Moogoomike
I connected my phone and Sena to the bike when it was new, but had so many problems that I disconnected both a few days later and just reconnected the phone to the Sena. Just as easy to control everything, and no issues. Removed the HD app from my phone as well.
That is where I stand now as well. Still using MAPS and REVER on my phone, too. They work fine, just disappointed that HD didn't get it right with simple technology that everyone else has no problems with.

Stay safe.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:34 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

I switched to the Cardo Edge. It works perfectly with bike. I believe the reason I am not having issues, is that the version of bluetooth the Edge uses, is more compatible with the bike. Make sure when you are connecting your Cardo to the bike, you connect it as a bike. For the Edge, press the bluetooth button for 5 sec, then rotate the roller dial backwards.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:43 AM
ornrry1
Novice
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the same exact issue with the Packtalk Bold and have seen other post saying the same thing. Haven't seen any posts that can explain why it cuts when turning head left. I also have the HD Outrush helmet that has a Sena system on it and it has no issues. It is a HD product though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:03 AM
Wormjello
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I just installed a new Sena 3S Plus and have the same thing happening to me. It’s just once in a while and just for a brief second.

Old 04-10-2023, 02:25 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 339 Likes on 184 Posts

Been using the Sena 50S and it's performed perfectly. Phone > Bike < headset and all features (talk, audio, handlebar controls.) work as expected.

The following 2 users liked this post by 3dognate:
Rusty Bucket (04-11-2023), Wormjello (04-10-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 08:47 PM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by greg09997
I switched to the Cardo Edge. It works perfectly with bike. I believe the reason I am not having issues, is that the version of bluetooth the Edge uses, is more compatible with the bike. Make sure when you are connecting your Cardo to the bike, you connect it as a bike. For the Edge, press the bluetooth button for 5 sec, then rotate the roller dial backwards.
Thanks and yes, all being connected properly. This is still basic Bluetooth. I can walk in my house to get an item of clothing or whatever and Bluetooth works properly when connected strictly to my phone. I am two feet away from the electronics on the bike and it doesn't work - HD needs to fix it. No other manufacturers have customers complaining, all using Sena or Packtalk.

Stay safe.

Old 04-12-2023, 02:54 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Just to say the Bluetooth on my bike works fine with the Sena integrated comms in my Schuberth lid. I have the bike connected to the intercom and also my Garmin XT connected separately to the intercom.

No issues with disconnecting at all. Music and phone all works from the bike controls, and I get Nav instructions in the intercom from the Garmin.

That said, I had one friend with a Pan Am who had exactly the same bluetooth issues you have - and between him and the dealership they could not manage to fix it. He did have the added complication that he also wanted bluetooth intercom with his pillion.

The following users liked this post:
Wormjello (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 08:05 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer

Originally Posted by adm
Just to say the Bluetooth on my bike works fine with the Sena integrated comms in my Schuberth lid. I have the bike connected to the intercom and also my Garmin XT connected separately to the intercom.

No issues with disconnecting at all. Music and phone all works from the bike controls, and I get Nav instructions in the intercom from the Garmin.

That said, I had one friend with a Pan Am who had exactly the same bluetooth issues you have - and between him and the dealership they could not manage to fix it. He did have the added complication that he also wanted bluetooth intercom with his pillion.
Thanks - I am beginning to see that most Sena units are okay and possibly updated Cardo 5.2 Bluetooth units. Older Cardo units seem to work well on every other bike manufacture but H-D.

Guess I will have to invest again or just be satisfied with Cardo to phone for awhile.

Stay safe.

The following users liked this post:
Wormjello (04-12-2023)

Quick Reply: PAS Bluetooth issues