Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1957 FLH All Original

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:29 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1957 FLH All Original

I have a question.I have a 1957 FLH, all original, from my father. He was the orginal owner. Approximately 28k miles.

Anyway, I am thinking of a full resotration - paint, chrome, engine looked over, etc. I wanted to know how this may affect the value of the bike.

Is it worth more all original (some rust on chrome, paint fade, worn cables, etc.) or would restoration help?

I would like to bring it back to fully operable and reliable. I would like to be able to ride it without worrying about things failing.

I have a new 2007 FLHRC to go along with it!

Old 03-23-2007, 02:41 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1957 FLH All Original

You are a most fortunate son! The 57 FLH needs to be appraised by someone with a motorcycle museum background. You might get some help from the Wheel Through Time Museum in Cherokee NC. http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/pages/contactus.html

Maybe send them pictures.

Good Luck,
FBL

Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

madurodave....it can only be original once. If it is restored it is no longer original. If the miles are as low as it appears, I say leave it alone and just clean up what needs to be done to make it rideable. Obviously things like frayed wires need to be fixed, new battery, tubes for tires and the like. #0000 steel wool cleans up a lot of rust spots on old chrome. There is some real good cleaners that will bring faded paint back to life. A good tune up, plugs points and condensor, and carb rebuild are basics to getting a good ride on the road.

Pick up two essential books (my opinion of course)... Palmers guide to HD restorations and Fields's book on panheads. Bothe are essential to what you are doing. best of luck and when you get a chance, attach a pick. Would like to see it.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:25 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen to above post.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:39 PM
xcaret
Intermediate

I have a1961 pan in similar condition to what you have( photo gallery "xcarets bikes" ) I had it restored and it just about trippled in value ..This was back around 1990 .It was later stolen ,I got it back in pieces ,no eng or frame . I bought a 59 basket case to get a frame and eng.Since the year goes by the eng serial number I'm now building a 59 pan ,using both bikes for parts ..I don't plan on doing a restoration .I'm just cleaning up the 59 parts I'm using ,not chroming,I'm repainting though .I want to ride this bike ,and don't want to be worried aboutit getting old .I didn't ride it after the restoration ,just left it in my porch ..What ever you decide will be right ,be prepared to have lots of curious spectaters ..
BTWfor the last 12 years Iv'e had a brand new RoadKing sitting in my livingroom,I have never even started this bike ,Only the dealer rode itchecking it out ..it has 14 kilometers on it or to you 8.4 miles .Check my pics.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

xcaret, not trying to debunk or disprove your rationale, but IMHO I still believe an original will be worth more than one that is restored. Does that mean it will fetch more in mean green? No.

Think about it.....how cool (way kool) to be able to tell folks that. "This was my pop's bike; he gave it to me and w/ the exception of a couple of small fixes it is still original.

Some folks buy the looks, some the originality; in the end it is all good. I think it just depends what looks you want.

I am restoring a 49 EL. The seat for it came from my dad's flathead that he rode after he came home from WWII. Mom made him sell it just as I got old enough to ride. Don't know what became of it but if I found it in original condition I would leave it alone just to be able to brag about it being my dad's. Some folks appreciate that, some don't. Some folks think that trailer queens and white-gloved AMCA folks are the absolute gospel according to MoCo; then again, some don't.

Whatever the differences, you are definitely right on when you said to be prepared for a lot of curious spectators. My 65 gets it (almost stock) as does my chopped 50 (definitely not stock). Some of the newer riders do not fully appreciate a bike that should leave a quarter to a fifty-cent piece of oil on the ground when it is parked.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Velocetti
Stage II

Greetings:
Got a very original '59 Pan myself and have wondered about the same questions. First of all, I would join the AMCA (Antique Motorcycle Club of America) and, at your very earliest convenience, go to some of our rallies with your machine. I would enter your '57 for judging (usually no charge if registered in advance ... see the Website) and let the real experts tell you why this is or isn't a 100 point bike. Then you an make a decision about where you want to go with it. Since it would be just about impossible to ride a 100 point bike you may well decide on some compromises that leave you with a very fine and enjoyable motorcycle that may or may not win trophies. Either way you will have the advice of real experts who have looked your bike over very carefully!
Good luck
Brian

Old 03-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

A clean original will always be worth more than a rebuilt. Check out Deeleys Motorcycle Museum, or some of the other Museums for a appraiser. I would clean it up, and keep it original.

Joe

Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
madurodave
Road Captain

Everyone,

Thank you all for the information. The idea of keeping it all original is the way I was leaning, anyway.

I will post some pics this spring when I have it clean and running.

I will try to get it into some shows as well.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer

I wonder if this guy ever got around to taking a pic of his 57 sure would be nice to see it.
I also use the #0000 Ultra Fine steel wool after I apply mothers mag wheel polish with a toothbrush works great on oxidized aluminum add a dremel tool with various Buffing attatchments to make the aluminum parts look like chrome.

Quick Reply: 1957 FLH All Original