Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Painting tank question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 PM
Allfields
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xnysgt
Not sure if this project was completed, or even attempted, or not, but I did a garage paint job on my '09 Crossbones which had pinstripes and emblems. Here are a few pics I took in progress.

I should point out that this was a WWII bomber nose art paint job I did using rattle can (Rustoleum, hammered finish) spray paint in combination with water slide model graphics and finished with professional automotive clear coat. Anyway, there was no bleed through whatsoever. Anyway, just my input.

That is amazing that you did that from a rattle can.

Great job.

Do you have a lot of experience painting and air brushing, where you felt the confidence to do it with a rattle can?

Or was it good old fashion ***** and ingenuity?

Which ever it was you are extremely talented

Old 04-22-2017, 12:45 AM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks. I got a lot of people thinking I was crazy yanking new tins of a fresh from the showroom bike, sanding the tank and painting it with spray paint from Home Depot. But I had a vision of it in my brain pan and figured I should go big or go home. I sold both new fenders to buy a used Heritage front, and Fatboy rear fenders on eBay to paint and put on. I was happy with it.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 AM
xnysgt
Tourer

Originally Posted by Allfields
That is amazing that you did that from a rattle can.

Great job.

Do you have a lot of experience painting and air brushing, where you felt the confidence to do it with a rattle can?

Or was it good old fashion ***** and ingenuity?

Which ever it was you are extremely talented
I think it was ***** and sheer luck because I've never done anything like that before.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:57 AM
sevitz5
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Well I did it

I took the plunge, and I am loving the outcome. I just have to paint the lowers and the tour pack today. Here are some pics.

The following users liked this post:
Allfields (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 AM
xnysgt
Tourer

Wow, nice job!

Old 04-23-2017, 12:53 AM
Allfields
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sevitz5
I took the plunge, and I am loving the outcome. I just have to paint the lowers and the tour pack today. Here are some pics.

That is a sweet paint job.
That bike looks factory fresh.
Nice prep work with the kraft paper on the table and the jigs built to hold your parts.
You are a bad ***.
Great job and thanks for sharing

Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 AM
sevitz5
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Allfields
That is a sweet paint job.
That bike looks factory fresh.
Nice prep work with the kraft paper on the table and the jigs built to hold your parts.
You are a bad ***.
Great job and thanks for sharing
thanks brother. I love the color. It is 2009 Corvette atomic orange.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:34 PM
WEATHERED59
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice work

I want to do the paint on my bike using rattle cans to house of colorhs has. candy and pearl I was just wonder how many cans it took to paint yours and I was going to get a graphic kit for the tank and fenders then clear over it got 97 Softail there anyway you could let me know how many cans it took you including primer and did you do the clear with rattle can or a gun any help / advice would be appreciated

Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 AM
xnysgt
Tourer

Originally Posted by WEATHERED59
I want to do the paint on my bike using rattle cans to house of colorhs has. candy and pearl I was just wonder how many cans it took to paint yours and I was going to get a graphic kit for the tank and fenders then clear over it got 97 Softail there anyway you could let me know how many cans it took you including primer and did you do the clear with rattle can or a gun any help / advice would be appreciated
If your question was for me, I used one (1) rattle can of primer, between two (2) and three (3) rattle cans of the Rustoleum hammered metal finish paint.

I then applied my faux airplane "sheet metal panels & seams" using a Sharpie (dragging a rag across while fresh/wet to create the faux oil seepage and wind spray), then applied the waterslide model graphics (faux rivets, pin-up girl, "bomber name".

I then paid to have the tins professionally clear coated by a local auto body shop.

I'm sure 2 cans of spray paint would have sufficed, but I wanted to be sure. Contrast that to the Arlen Ness ABS rear fender extender I painted outside and hanging from a tree branch on Sunday , which took less than one (1) rattle can of Rustoleum semi-gloss black spray paint and less than one (1) rattle can of Rustoleum Dead Flat spray on Clear Coat, which resulted in a match to my black denim paint.

To cover the bases, I'd recommend buying two (2) cans of rattle spray paint per piece of tin (tank, fender, etc) and you'll be good. Be mindful IF the cans have paint batch numbers, so all cans match up (they don't usually have batch numbers, but sometimes do). Keep your sales receipt from Home Depot or wherever and you can return whatever cans you don't crack open.

Aside from the common sense of not painting when there's too much of a breeze (it'll blow debris that'll get stuck on the wet paint surface), I'm sure it goes without saying, but there are 3 important cardinal rules for this type of project using rattle can spray paint.

1) Err on the side of spraying too lightly versus too heavily. Stay at the maximum distance recommended and move in from there if needed. Drips from too heavy a coat will 'eff up the whole process.

2) Keep the rattle can moving back and forth constantly while spraying and move past each side of the item being painted, with each pass. If you don't, the area of the item will get twice as much paint as you want it too when you stop moving from one direction and start to return in the opposite direction. Duh, I know.

3) Shake the rattle can often and every few minutes turn the can upside down and spray a couple of seconds to clear the nozzle, while also wiping the nozzle tip with a rag. If you don't, the can will "spit" small paint droplets instead of the fine mist you want/need.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
WEATHERED59 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:59 PM
WEATHERED59
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it was you I was asking the question too good I found out now that House of Colors sells candy and pearl colors in rattle cans and out kinda expensive like 30 bucks a can so that's why I was wondering about it thanks for getting back to me be safe