Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Powder coating a gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:19 AM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do them regularly. Remove all internals from within the tank. After coated, you may need a tank sealer like Kreem to reseal it. Just depends on how many cycles the tank goes through the oven and how well factory liner holds up.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:22 AM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Old 01-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Gunn58
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay I am at a cross roads, some say that I shouldn't reseal the tank after powder coating, some say that I should. The nah sayers are telling me that it's not necessary because if it isn't done right it can will mess up the powder coating. My question is who is right ? Do I have to reseal or not.

Last edited by Gunn58; 01-30-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: new info
Old 02-02-2018, 09:17 AM
wideopen4life
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunn58
Okay I am at a cross roads, some say that I shouldn't reseal the tank after powder coating, some say that I should. The nah sayers are telling me that it's not necessary because if it isn't done right it can will mess up the powder coating. My question is who is right ? Do I have to reseal or not.

I can't say the folks you've spoke to are right or wrong, I've personally done both... I think it boils down to the quality of job you want done. I highly recommend a reseal after coating, normally customers call and checkbook.... I can say that tanks I've done in a matte/denim match with one cycle through the oven did not seem to have any issues. Any tanks with a primer, color, and clear the liner is typically toast with that much oven time...

I'm not really understanding how resealing a tank could damage the powder coat; unless you were just splashing it all over the exterior

Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Gunn58
Cruiser

I have no intentions of doing the sealer myself was born at night but not last night (This all started with an accidental golf ball hitting the tank chipped the paint ) when I drained the gas and decided to powder coat I found this hang in my tank upon further investigation, I found a butt load more hanging inside the tank. Upon calling around to find out how to get it out, (stuff is like cockroaches nothing comes close to getting rid of) tried acetone and a # of other stuff. because I was told that if I did 3 coats of powder (bullet proof) it would mess the sealer up which leaves me where I started "MESSED UP SEALER"..... But here is my problem it seems like where I am, everybody is just starting out with doing sealer.1-2 years So i have trust issues despite any guarantees ppl say that if anything happens they will take care of it (bike dealer said that 8k later I am fixing what is wrong) I know that this sounds more of rant then anything else but I bought this bike to ride not to be losing brain cells trying to fix stuff that isn't covered in no manual

Last edited by Gunn58; 02-02-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:00 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunn58
I have no intentions of doing the sealer myself was born at night but not last night (This all started with an accidental golf ball hitting the tank chipped the paint ) when I drained the gas and decided to powder coat I found this hang in my tank upon further investigation, I found a butt load more hanging inside the tank. Upon calling around to find out how to get it out, (stuff is like cockroaches nothing comes close to getting rid of) tried acetone and a # of other stuff. because I was told that if I did 3 coats of powder (bullet proof) it would mess the sealer up which leaves me where I started "MESSED UP SEALER"..... But here is my problem it seems like where I am, everybody is just starting out with doing sealer.1-2 years So i have trust issues despite any guarantees ppl say that if anything happens they will take care of it (bike dealer said that 8k later I am fixing what is wrong) I know that this sounds more of rant then anything else but I bought this bike to ride not to be losing brain cells trying to fix stuff that isn't covered in no manual
Is your tank off the bike and empty. With the dash and internals removed you should be able to have enough access to remove the majority of the damaged liner yourself. You may have to get creative in dislodging what is left. As for the liner, there is a "DIY" product available that many have had great success with. It's called KREEM, very straight forward and should get you back on the road. I always find when new hurdles are thrown at me, I end up learning the most....

Old 02-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Gunn58
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wideopen4life
I always find when new hurdles are thrown at me, I end up learning the most....
That is true.I found a video where a guy put his tank on slow moving drill with screws inside.
I tried it and all the stuff that came out was unreal and from what I can see it looks almost new inside.On another note you do have to change the angle of the tank I ran each tank (Split tank) for 30 mins at each of 3 angles. now the only thing left is to do a quick pressure test in the am then off to powder coat thank for your input.