Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Ever heard of or bought paint from "Big Brain"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:40 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,082 Likes on 1,263 Posts
Default Ever heard of or bought paint from "Big Brain"?

In the process of getting my 2014 SGS changed from Charcoal Pearl, (same color as asphalt and making me kinda invisible, I feel), to a bad *** candy tangerine or reddish orange and I REALLY REALLY like 2 of the candy colors on this website, but I've never heard of them. Have any of you? Do you have any experience with their paint? I talked with the owner today and she was over the top helpful, super friendly and customer oriented.

http://gobigbrain.com/paint-clear-ca...-concentrates/

I tried have my guy blend 2 HOK paints to imitate their "Tangerine Fire Orange Candy" and it fell short so I'm just going to buy their paint directly from them as soon as I decide between the Tangerine and the "Fire Engine Red Candy"

Anyone have any thoughts? TIA

Old 12-22-2018, 06:55 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,688 Likes on 852 Posts

Looks like it works as long as it doesn't chemically attack the clear your mixing it into but it's just a tint, will still need a silver base coat put down plus thinking a clear top coat would be a good idea in case wet sanding and buffing is desired. Your painter may still have some HOK silver base and clear from the previous attempt and a win win to give it a shot.

Attached a actual picture of the finished product and a video is available of someone painting it.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 12-22-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:54 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

1997bagger. thanks for the video! That's a much better look of the different paints for sure. Between talking with the owner and my painter, I'm pretty clear with the process of how they do it, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had any dealings with Big Brain or used any of their paint and how it all turned out. Looking at the video has only made me question myself as to which color I want now, lol....... thanks for that man, hahaha.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:11 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,688 Likes on 852 Posts

Your welcome on making your decision harder lol. Tough call spraying base/clear you don't know anything about on a personal item like a Harley. If the big brain candy chemical reacts with the clear your familiar with your screwed, If the big brain clear doesn't hold up or not quality then it's a should of known better but sometimes a gamble is a well hidden secret. Good luck with your decision

Last edited by 1997bagger; 12-22-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:16 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Good point, I'll have to ask her if she has any experience with her candies and HOK clear mixing and playing well together. Hope so! I already have the clear at the shop..........

Old 12-24-2018, 07:02 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 141 Posts

I've talked to them and they seem knowledgable with their products. The store is less than. 2 hrs from where I live I've been tempted to make a run to them and see in person. Have been tempted to try their products for convenience of being easily resupplied.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:11 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CryingJoker
I've talked to them and they seem knowledgable with their products. The store is less than. 2 hrs from where I live I've been tempted to make a run to them and see in person. Have been tempted to try their products for convenience of being easily resupplied.
Thanks for the input. Man........ I wish they were only 2 hours away from me! I'd have made my color decision weeks ago, lol!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I have charcoal pearl '14 as well an I always thought it was bland but not invisible LOL. The guy spraying all the colors in that vid makes it look so easy! HD had a root beer color I liked an that earth brown looked similar to it an after watching that vid I want to change my bike's color. IF I ever do it I'd have the parts sprayed with a sealer to keep the new paint from reacting with the old paint. My uncle an cousin do auto repair so I could get a good price on the labor...I'd just take the stuff off an drop them off.....DANG IT now I'm tempted.....but cool paint needs cool wheels to stand out....an if I'm spraying the parts might as well get 3" stretched bags....an a wrap around front fender......an next thing you know my basic $800 respray just cost me $5 grand!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

1997bagger- At your suggestion, I double checked with the owner and she said that their product works great with the HOK clear that I have, so that's covered.

langwilliams- Lol..... you're right about the wheels! They should be here in a few days. I couldn't see puting the stock ones back on. It needs CHROME!!!!

Decided on the Tangerine Fire over the Galaxy Silver and hopefully I'll have it all put back together by the middle of the month. Starting to get a little amped now............

Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 AM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 141 Posts

Be sure to post pictures I'm curious to see as well.

Quick Reply: Ever heard of or bought paint from "Big Brain"?