Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

So I'm About To Jump In...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:05 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default So I'm About To Jump In...

Long story short, I have decided that I'm going to get a majority of the polished aluminum engine componentson my bike powdercoated. My bike is a 2015 Softail Slim with a primarily stock 103 engine. I intend on getting the following components powder coated gloss or flat black: Primary and clutch plate, top and side transmission covers, timing cover, brake lever rockerbox covers (tops), and MAYBE my new handlebars. My plan is to source all the parts that I intend to powder coat from Ebay, since they are inexpensive and I won't need to sacrifice parts that I already have. Today marks the beginning of this adventure, since I just purchased a top transmission cover! LOL this should be interesting. I'm hoping that a few of you might be able to give me some sage advice through this process.

Personally, I have never cracked open any of the engine component on this bike, beyond oil changes...clutch adjustments...and other general routine maintenance. Most of the modifications that I have done to my bike thus far have been in the electrical department. So I'm a little nervous, but fully committed! I do own a service manual, so that is on hand through this whole process.

I intend on heading to a powdercoater as soon as I have gathered all the spare parts that will get changed out. After that, I intend on swapping out the parts, obviously with new gaskets.

Now, being that I have never had anything powdercoated and haven't gone this invasive with my tinkering, what advice might you have for me through this process? Anything from selecting a powdercoater to disassembly/ assembly...whole nine! Thanks All!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I replaced a lot of the silver parts on my '15 slim with gloss black. I picked up rocker box covers, trans side cover an cam chest cover for like 60 bucks...a lot less than powder coating would have cost me. I picked up a gloss black primary cover for $120 that had a scratch on the bottom that I touched up with paint. Taking the gas tank off to replace the rocker box covers was a pain but the rest was easy.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I replaced a lot of the silver parts on my '15 slim with gloss black. I picked up rocker box covers, trans side cover an cam chest cover for like 60 bucks...a lot less than powder coating would have cost me. I picked up a gloss black primary cover for $120 that had a scratch on the bottom that I touched up with paint. Taking the gas tank off to replace the rocker box covers was a pain but the rest was easy.
So you bought all your parts already blackened? Didnt you worry about differences in the color and finish of the pieces, since they were sourced from different places? Did you get a quote on what powder coating all your pieces would cost?

Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

My son in law's best friend's dad does powder coating an he helps a lot so I think I could have gotten reasonable but it was faster an easier to do the swap. the cam chest, trans side an rocker covers came off the same bike so they matched fine.