Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

White metal flake paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 06:20 AM
Peggers
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile White metal flake paint

Hi All -
Dropping in on your from Qatar - where my newest bike is a '14 Softail deluxe. These aren't so common out here, so I had a choice of just one color.

which I really don't like. So I have decided to paint the bike two-tone red/white, kind of like the '13 model, but with the distinction that both colors will be in the largest metal flake that I can find.
Decision made. However, the painter tells me that white metal flake "cannot be done" and that I have to settle for red metal flake, and pearl white .
I found a couple of references to "Sparkle EFX Flake - Ice Crystal" on the web

- that looks like what I want, but while there are 3 Facebook pages associated with Sparkle EFX, none are answering.
I sent links to my painter, and now he's ghosting me .
Can anyone advise me where to buy white, or crystal flake?
I do understand that it would have to be applied over a very white, or even metallic white background.
Thanks in advance,
Peggers

Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 PM
JMJIN
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason he said white isn't doable is because most metal flake paint jobs are done with silver flake, and whatever final color sprayed as a translucent candy coat over it. White candy paint doesn't exist as far as I know, your painter too obviously. Pearl colors are actual colored pieces of flake sprayed over a colored basecoat to add a color flop as the light reflects off the pearl. Pearl coats aren't usually sprayed densely enough to hide the base color completely, and so even though they reflect light similar to metal flake, they don't have the same reflection texture. Not sure if a super heavy pearl would look good next to a metal flake red or not if you are using a large metal flake as the pearl is very fine.