Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

2003 anniversary silver

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

very cool thanks for the tip!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
joechief
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyd3284
hi just bought a 2003 road king classic about 3 month ago and already dented the front fender, i have bin having a hard time matching the ann. silver paint,and harley isn't giving it up ,dose anyone have a code? i bought Cycle Colors paint by total marketing concept and it dose not match at all ( color is off and to metallicy ).help ,tony
The silver color as mentioned by others is achieved by spraying black basecoat, followed by a silver mid-coat, then a clearcoat. The idea is that the black shows through a bit, creating a tri-coat effect. Cadillac used something similar to this on the wheels on their CTSV. What Harley was trying to duplicate with the silver color in 2003 was a "raw metal look". I work for a PPG paint distributor and we have a product that will match that silver. It is called liquid metal. PPG supplies HD and this is the same product. I have sprayed many test panels with this and it matches perfectly. The product is PPG part number VM4201 and it is in PPG's Vibrance custom line. It can be used alone or used as a ground coat for PPG's Spectraflame, (which was the colored chrome that Hot wheels cars used to have). Anyway, I tried to send you the link but I am afraid I couldn't get it to load onto the forum. If you send me your email I can send it to you that way. It is easy to spray and really not that expensive. The one thing you need to do is try and spray it clean as dirt nibs in the finish show up more than in a standard finish.

Good Luck,

Joechief

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Old 04-19-2011, 07:16 PM
tonyd3284
4th Gear
Default thanks joechief

thanks ,u could send it to tlauro41@yahoo.com look forward to getting the link,,
Originally Posted by joechief
The silver color as mentioned by others is achieved by spraying black basecoat, followed by a silver mid-coat, then a clearcoat. The idea is that the black shows through a bit, creating a tri-coat effect. Cadillac used something similar to this on the wheels on their CTSV. What Harley was trying to duplicate with the silver color in 2003 was a "raw metal look". I work for a PPG paint distributor and we have a product that will match that silver. It is called liquid metal. PPG supplies HD and this is the same product. I have sprayed many test panels with this and it matches perfectly. The product is PPG part number VM4201 and it is in PPG's Vibrance custom line. It can be used alone or used as a ground coat for PPG's Spectraflame, (which was the colored chrome that Hot wheels cars used to have). Anyway, I tried to send you the link but I am afraid I couldn't get it to load onto the forum. If you send me your email I can send it to you that way. It is easy to spray and really not that expensive. The one thing you need to do is try and spray it clean as dirt nibs in the finish show up more than in a standard finish.

Good Luck,

Joechief

Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

had a local guy paint my hard bags and side covers. luckily he didn't have any problems matching the silver, or if he did he didn't mention it. said his dad had the same bike and he had worked with the color before. can't tell the difference between the bags and the fender. But he did say silver is one of, if not the hardest color to match. good luck. hope it turns out good for ya.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Does HD still sell the Anniversary decal stripe? My tank has a slight dent that I will eventually have repaired and will need to get a new decal set.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
tonyd3284
4th Gear
Default decal

go to ebay and look up - anniversary harley stripebut u need to get in touch with them ,
Originally Posted by rjsimmons
Does HD still sell the Anniversary decal stripe? My tank has a slight dent that I will eventually have repaired and will need to get a new decal set.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Hey Kings Ride, like your bike! Looks great!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 AM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nutsandbolts5212
Hey Kings Ride, like your bike! Looks great!
Thanks man. I tried to keep it simple. Didn't wanna do so much that I couldn't ride it.

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
Thanks for the link. Gonna pick up a set of the saddlebag stripes to finish off the bags on the king.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 AM
tonyd3284
4th Gear

thanks for everones help,i didnt paint anything yet but am going to do something soon, ill keep everyone posted

Quick Reply: 2003 anniversary silver