Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

Denim Black Clear Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
GuNsLiNgEr420
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Denim Black Clear Coat?

Has anyone here ever heard of shooting a clear coat of the denim black to prevent it from getting smudge marks and scratched so easy? If not is there any type of protectant that keeps the matt look but does not make it look like crud? I just bought a new Street Glide in Denim Black and not having issues but one day I am sure I will.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Wydir
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI the denim black is clear coated with a Matte Clear coat. on the other hand there is only one way to protect the paint...... ready for this ...... trade it for a different color bike with a normal clear coat on it. the paint cannot be fixed it has to be repainted every time. (thanks Harley) always looking out for their customers.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 AM
CPT America
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley factory denim paint does not have a separate matte clear applied to it. It's a single stage paint with the protectant already mixed in it. There are flat or matte clears that painters can apply over a denim paint to protect it, but the issue is getting it to dull enough to not appear to have a slight satin sheen to it. There is a guy near where I am that has the clear and he's able to get it looking pretty close to HD factory denim black.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Wydir
Cruiser

well find a factory painted Denim black part and wetsand it a bit if the water turns white its cleared if it turns black its single stage. Either way there is no way to help the paint or clear from damage or to be fixed unless you repaint/ reclear the part with damage as it cannot be spot repaired.

Last edited by Wydir; 06-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Here are a couple threads I started

This is a great cleaner/protectant for denim black https://www.hdforums.com/forum/detai...protector.html

Or if you're insane like I am, you can do this
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...purpose-3.html

Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

wWe have had a few bikes painted denim black at our shop. We always have them coated with a matte clear for protection. The first one we did was back in '08 and the bike still looks really good. HD does NOT clear the denim colors from the factory. That's why you can't wax them.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Kickback
1st Gear

Question for the paint pro's... I'm looking to paint a bike denim black but I want to have an accent stripe that is gloss. Does that mean I have to tape off each area and apply matte over the denim and gloss over the accent stripe? If so how do you keep from feeling the tape line? I will have to take this to a professional but I would like to know what is involved for my own information.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you can get this affect 2 ways, by either masking and polishing out the flat paint in that section, shooting a gloss clear over the flat clear... personally i would polish

Old 07-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Rickey3232
1st Gear

Black is the shinning and prominent color and In European countries every body wants the black color things such as car and bikes,I have bought a car which is totally black and every body likes that car due to black color.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
sdellap
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default product feedback

This product was recommended on denim black finish:
Meticulous Matte Detailer-For Satin Finish & Matt Finish Paint by an auto detail company in California called Chemical Guys - http://www.chemicalguys.com/Meticulo...spi_995_16.htm

Has anyone had first-hand experience with this product over a period of time. Is there any drawbacks to using it on my denim black finish

2013 Fatboy Lo

Quick Reply: Denim Black Clear Coat?