Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

09 heritage classic 10k miles noise from front of bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:59 AM
anyaneeeze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 heritage classic 10k miles noise from front of bike

When I bought the bike it had 9600 miles. I put the last 400 on it. Noise just started from the front end about a month ago. Hard to describe the sound but sounds like a high pitch howl. I have tried to pinpoint where it is coming from but I can't. Definitely from the front of the bike. I can't hear anything when sitting still but soon as I put in gear and take off it is there and gets louder with more throttle. It is loudest when I decelerate on a downshift. When I pull the clutch in the noise is either so light I can't hear it or it stops not quite sure. Only thing I noticed when I bought it was it has a hard shift into first gear and not the smoothest throughout the gears. I am hoping you all can help determine the source of noise.

Things I have done to the bike since purchasing or prior to noise:

Changed transmission oil, primary oil and engine oil

Removed OEM fork lowers and installed chrome
Replaced front and rear brake pads
**After this I started hearing noise**

Since the noise started I have done the following: Replaced brake rotors with polished stainless, replaced belt sprocket with chrome. Checked primary chain tension and belt deflection. Put in new OEM clutch basket and assembly. I removed the compensator sprocket and visually inspected then reinstalled. I Looked over everything inside the primary and everything looked ok.. When I test road after clutch install the bike shifted much more smooth but I still had same noise from up front. So, before I go any deeper I purchased wheel bearings for the front wheel. I will have them in by noon tomorrow. If that is it then great I am done, but figured I would throw this out here hoping maybe you guys might think of something in case I'm scratching my head after lunch.

Fluids:
Primary 10-40 reg oil
Transmission 80-140 reg gear oil
motor 20-50 synthetic
All at correct levels

Belt deflection: when I replaced belt sprocket I had the belt too tight. Probably rode 100 miles like this before buying tool and adjusting.

Belt alignment is good

Cheerio

Last edited by anyaneeeze; 06-09-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:34 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Everything sounds like a wheel bearing except for the part about pulling in the clutch and the noise going away that sounds like an inner primary bearing.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 AM
anyaneeeze
Cruiser

Thanks Mark, I'm gonna go knock it out real quick and see. I did order a IPB just in case

Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 PM
anyaneeeze
Cruiser

The wheel bearing was the source of the noise. Thanks