Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

losing power in gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Ryan4664
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing power in gear

I have a 2002 dyna low rider. I just adjusted the primary chain which was loose, to about 1/2-5/8 inch of play as standard. the adjustment is behind a cover that the shift rod goes through, along with a seal between the rod and the cover. I took it out for a test run to make sure it was fixed. Everything worked great around town for the first 20 min until I went to get on the highway. I open the throttle then it just bogged down and lost power. It does this when I open the throttle in any gear, but runs and revs just fine and strong in neutral and with the clutch in. I pulled over and noticed some primary fluid had been leaking out from the seal mentioned before. This does need to be replaced, but would this be causing my bigger issue? would low primary fluid cause this to happen? it does seem to shift fine and smooth still. if not then any other suggestions or tips? thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan4664
I have a 2002 dyna low rider. I just adjusted the primary chain which was loose, to about 1/2-5/8 inch of play as standard. the adjustment is behind a cover that the shift rod goes through, along with a seal between the rod and the cover. I took it out for a test run to make sure it was fixed. Everything worked great around town for the first 20 min until I went to get on the highway. I open the throttle then it just bogged down and lost power. It does this when I open the throttle in any gear, but runs and revs just fine and strong in neutral and with the clutch in. I pulled over and noticed some primary fluid had been leaking out from the seal mentioned before. This does need to be replaced, but would this be causing my bigger issue? would low primary fluid cause this to happen? it does seem to shift fine and smooth still. if not then any other suggestions or tips? thanks
Drain and refill primary with a non synthetic primary oil, such as Shell Rotella T 15W40.. Fill to the proper level. While doing that, also adjust your clutch basket, COLD, according to the shop manual. Adjust your clutch lever free play. Ride for several miles and let the oil soak into the clutch plates and you may get your clutch to feel right. After using the non sun oil, you may find your leak has stopped, if not get leak fixed.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Ryan4664
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you misunderstood. The clutch feels fine, and it shifts smooth. The issue just started occuring after I adjusted the primary chain (which is now good), also as a result I found that i'm leaking primary fluid from a seal around the shift rod that goes into the primary case. My question is does the issue I'm having where the bike bogs down and loses power with an open throttle only in gear relate to low primary fluid due to this? if i barely open the throttle it seems fine, i'm talking enough to go from 0-30 in about 20 seconds. if i open it to go 0-60 in less than 10 seconds it just wont

Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Initially I don't think it's related, but i believe the spec on that bike is 5/8-7/8" cold at the tightest spot.

I think you adjusted it cold to a hot spec which can cause premature component wear when everything gets hot and grows and the chain gets very tight.

What did you find with the fuel that they suggested in your duplicate post?

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 06-16-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:32 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan4664
I think you misunderstood. The clutch feels fine, and it shifts smooth. The issue just started occuring after I adjusted the primary chain (which is now good), also as a result I found that i'm leaking primary fluid from a seal around the shift rod that goes into the primary case. My question is does the issue I'm having where the bike bogs down and loses power with an open throttle only in gear relate to low primary fluid due to this? if i barely open the throttle it seems fine, i'm talking enough to go from 0-30 in about 20 seconds. if i open it to go 0-60 in less than 10 seconds it just wont
Ryan, my logic is your catch may be slipping and/or the fluid is not at the proper level. As posted you need to have a good baseline to start eliminating basic issues like clutch slippage or low fluid. What I described is about $5.00 in fluid and 1 hr of time. It may fix both issues or at least eliminate 2 possibilities.