Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

91 Sportster 883 Transmission Removal Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Mdbell714
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Sportster 883 Transmission Removal Help!

Hi guys,

I just recently purchased a 91 sportster 883. Great bike, runs good, looks good, just a little something going on with the transmission. When in 3rd gear the bike feels like it's going into a false neutral, jolts around a bit, and then goes back into 3rd. When riding in 3rd gear it will continually do this. From what I've read my guess is 1, it's something to do with the shift shaft assembly, 2, a worn down shift fork, or 3, a worn down gear set. I'm hoping its 1 or 2. So I have a manual and decided to take everything apart. Got down to the nut on the clutch and can't remove it. The shaft that the bolt is on just spins. Is this because it's in neautral and not in 5th gear? Also now that I have the primary cover off, I'm not able to switch gears. Could this be because I bent the shift shaft assembly or something? I'm new to the Harley world so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:51 PM
chromelens
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First have you removed the clutch throw our bearing? Second the outer primary cover supports the shift shaft so it is difficult to shift gears without this. Third the clutch nut is left hand threads. Finally i would inspect the shift drum for wear.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Mdbell714
Novice

Originally Posted by chromelens
First have you removed the clutch throw our bearing? Second the outer primary cover supports the shift shaft so it is difficult to shift gears without this. Third the clutch nut is left hand threads. Finally i would inspect the shift drum for wear.
Yes but when I try n remove the nut, the whole shaft that it's on just spins.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:16 PM
chromelens
Cruiser

The whole clutch hub and primary chain spin or the actual nut on the main shaft? If you can post a picture it may help better understand what is going on.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Mdbell714
Novice

The whole clutch hub and primary chain spin or the actual nut on the main shaft? If you can post a picture it may help better understand what is going on.
Sorry I am not with the bike at the moment. When I get home I will take pics. I put a wedge in so the primary gear and clutch gear cannot move. Nothing spins except the shaft that the bolt is on. Along with the hub around the bolt. Not the whole clutch is moving.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:24 PM
chromelens
Cruiser

Did you remove the clutch plates?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Mdbell714
Novice

Did you remove the clutch plates?
Yes I am past that. I used the compression tool to remove the plates and the clutch cover. Then removed the adjusting screw. I was able to remove the bolt on the primary shaft as well. The only thing left is the bolt on the clutch.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:35 PM
chromelens
Cruiser

Ok this helps. So you need to put the clutch plates back in the hub. The pressure from the clutch spring are what keep tension on the clutch pack and keep the inner hub from spinning. Once you have the plates and clutch assembled again you should have no problem breaking the nut loose. There is no reason to disassemble the clutch plates and basket unless the plates need to be replaced. A quick pop with an impact should break it free no problem. Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Mdbell714
Novice

Ok this helps. So you need to put the clutch plates back in the hub. The pressure from the clutch spring are what keep tension on the clutch pack and keep the inner hub from spinning. Once you have the plates and clutch assembled again you should have no problem breaking the nut loose. There is no reason to disassemble the clutch plates and basket unless the plates need to be replaced. A quick pop with an impact should break it free no problem. Hope this helps.
Will I be able to get the adjuster screw off and out of the way to get to the bolt with the clutch still together? And yes that def helps. Thanks for the knowledge.

Last edited by Mdbell714; 11-18-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:50 PM
chromelens
Cruiser

Yes. Remove the retaining ring that holds the adjuster screw and throw out bearing assembly. It's a large c shaped snap ring that needs removed. Once it is removed you can take out the complete throw out bearing assembly and access the nut. I suggest taking a few pictures of the shift mechanism to make assembly a little easier.

Quick Reply: 91 Sportster 883 Transmission Removal Help!