Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Any options for a cracked inner primary on an 87 Softail? No replacments avail anywhr

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:42 PM
STN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any options for a cracked inner primary on an 87 Softail? No replacments avail anywhr

I just bought a 1987 Softail today, and it has a cracked inner primary. I figured it would be an easy thing to source, but it turns out they are not available. I checked ebay and none are there, and none show up even in the closed auctions. I believe the PN is 60630-86A. The starter is in a different location on the 87 and 88, and makes these cases hard to find. I am thinking I will have no choice other than to have it welded, which I am not crazy about. Has anyone had theirs welded and had it work out well? Anyone know of a source other than what comes up in the first 50 google listings for someone who might have a used replacement? Thanks

Old 01-09-2016, 06:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I believe it's 60441-86A. What model softail do you have?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:56 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts
Old 01-09-2016, 06:59 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by STN
I just bought a 1987 Softail today, and it has a cracked inner primary. I figured it would be an easy thing to source, but it turns out they are not available. I checked ebay and none are there, and none show up even in the closed auctions. I believe the PN is 60630-86A. The starter is in a different location on the 87 and 88, and makes these cases hard to find. I am thinking I will have no choice other than to have it welded, which I am not crazy about. Has anyone had theirs welded and had it work out well? Anyone know of a source other than what comes up in the first 50 google listings for someone who might have a used replacement? Thanks
Just curious if your buying several this week? https://www.hdforums.com/forum/frame...ing-point.html

Old 01-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Non rubber mount motors, like on the softail, have the highest success rates with welding. (There's not much flex.)

Old 01-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Where is the crack? Depending on the spot that is cracked, if you have someone who knows what they are doing (I mean really knows what they are doing), I see no problem with welding. YD

Old 01-10-2016, 12:10 PM
STN
Novice

Originally Posted by dawg
I believe it's 60441-86A. What model softail do you have?

Thanks Dawg, it's a 87 FXSTC Softail Custom. From what I was ale to find it looked like the 60630-86A, but if you can verify it would be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 PM
STN
Novice

Originally Posted by perki48
Just curious if your buying several this week? https://www.hdforums.com/forum/frame...ing-point.html
Hey perki, not really sure what your curiosity is about??? Why would l buy several this week??? You put the link to a year old post from the 94 FLSTN I bought last year at about this time, and now I bought another one a year later?

The new bike is the first pic.

Attached Thumbnails Any options for a cracked inner primary on an 87 Softail? No replacments avail anywhr-img_2087.jpg   Any options for a cracked inner primary on an 87 Softail? No replacments avail anywhr-img_2048.jpg  

Last edited by STN; 01-10-2016 at 05:21 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 01-10-2016, 12:30 PM
STN
Novice

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Where is the crack? Depending on the spot that is cracked, if you have someone who knows what they are doing (I mean really knows what they are doing), I see no problem with welding. YD

Thanks Yankee and Stigy. Thats my concern, knowing that the guy welding it is going to do a flawless job with it. Not only is it a PIA to remove the case, I think with welding there would only be one shot at it with the existing case. If it re-cracked and If I cant find a replacement it would suck. Might be cheaper to go to a belt at that point...

Old 01-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Depending on the size of the crack and the location, a jig needs to be made to hold things in place, and preferably the part should be warmed up, and sloooowly tig welded from the inside of the inner primary (again depends on location) and then slowly cooled.

I know it sucks but you should remove the part, and you should really ask around to see who has the rep for being a good welder with cast aluminum. Call some vintage restoration shops, even boat shops, machine shops, etc. One name will start to be mentioned more than once by those sources. That's the guy you talk to and ask to see some of his work.

Good luck, YD

Quick Reply: Any options for a cracked inner primary on an 87 Softail? No replacments avail anywhr