Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Dyna with first gear problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Dyna with first gear problems

Hey guys,
So I have a 2000 Dyna, engine is all rebuilt about 100hp/100tq. I've had an issue where when I go to start in first sometimes my transmission "hops" around. It basically feels like it's popping out of gear and then right back in on its own. It's just enough to kinda jerk me around and then everything is fine. It only does it in first gear and always seems to be 2200-2400 rpm. Doesn't do it every time but maybe half the time? Whether I am accelerating hard or not has no affect on it.

I'm super deliberate when I shift to make sure the problem isn't me not getting things engaged correctly. It just seems like it goes in and out of gear on it's own really quick and just kinda jerks me around a bit.

Bike has about 75k on the clock, trans had been rebuilt around 65k by a place called Jonsies Custom cycles in Central PA. (I don't recommend them).

Is something internal messed up or is there an adjustment or something that needs made?

Thanks, Ken

Old 03-11-2016, 06:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by deez nuts
I've had an issue where when I go to start in first sometimes my transmission "hops" around.

It basically feels like it's popping out of gear and then right back in on its own. It's just enough to kinda jerk me around and then everything is fine. It only does it in first gear and always seems to be 2200-2400 rpm. Doesn't do it every time but maybe half the time? Whether I am accelerating hard or not has no affect on it.

Thanks, Ken
Can you clear things up, so we can better understand what is going on? Are you saying that you are attempting to start your bike from cold, after engaging first gear? If so, then start your bike in neutral, which is the normal thing to do, and also gives your starter motor an easier time!

Old 03-12-2016, 04:25 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Default Tranny problems

Originally Posted by grbrown
Can you clear things up, so we can better understand what is going on? Are you saying that you are attempting to start your bike from cold, after engaging first gear? If so, then start your bike in neutral, which is the normal thing to do, and also gives your starter motor an easier time!
No I'm saying when I'm like pulling from a red light. Does it no matter how warmed up the bike is. I go to pull away and it jumps out of gear and then back in real fast as I accelerate.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,816 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Sounds more like your Compensator is shot.....

Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Default Compensator

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Sounds more like your Compensator is shot.....
So if my compensator is shot it would only effect 1st gear? ... I'm ashamed to admit but I've actually had this problem for awhile but have been ignoring it. Cotton worse though

Before my trans was rebuilt it was basically doing the same thing but in 3rd gear and now the problem is only in 1st gear

Also if I need a new compensator where is the best place to get one? SE one a good value?

Last edited by deez nuts; 03-16-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain

So if my compensator is shot it would only effect 1st gear? ... I'm ashamed to admit but I've actually had this problem for awhile but have been ignoring it. Cotton worse though

Before my trans was rebuilt it was basically doing the same thing but in 3rd gear and now the problem is only in 1st gear

Also if I need a new compensator where is the best place to get one? SE one a good value?

So I ended up replacing my clutch and running ATF in my primary. Never run or shifted better.

The following users liked this post:
Neb (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Neb
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

So I ended up replacing my clutch and running ATF in my primary. Never run or shifted better.
Been having the same problem lately. I've suspected it was the clutch. Looks like it's time to upgrade!