Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Taping noise when 1st started

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Taping noise when 1st started

Bike just turned 12k miles last week. '15 SGS. For the last several days, when its started first time of day, I get a metal tapping sound. (Sound like the exhaust heat shields cooling down after a ride) I believe its coming from the primary side as best as I can tell. Noise is appearant if I give it some throttle while either in N, in gear with clutch in, or when 1st taking off. After a few mins of run time, noise goes away. Noise matches the rpm. Once rode for a few min, its all good for rest of day. Doing a search, I came across the primary chain adjuster may be right at point to advance to next click, so I tried the rocking back and forth, and also hitting rear brakes to bump it up. No go. You tube videos show the chain flopping some when throttle is given. Im assuming the chain hits the inside of cover? That's exactly what it sounds like, but Im not understanding why the noise goes away after a few minutes if that the case. I recall reading of noises several had right at the 12K mark a month ago, but I cant find those threads to reread.

Does this sound like a adjuster in between notches and is normal? Rather be a little informed before I take in for warrenty work, which I rather not do if its normal.

Thanks

Old 08-09-2016, 08:41 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Could be the primary chain loose then once it heats up it tightens up.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:24 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 247 Posts

Air cooled motors are noisy in general, no sound damping from coolant jackets.
Harley is esp. noisy with long stroke and pushrods. Use Red Line oil in oil 3 holes and you won't believe how it quiets down.
A superior lubricant with polyol ester blend with higher lubricity and temperature resistance. It costs a lot, it if you only change once or.twice a year it's not that big an annual expense.