Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

trap door helicoil

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Tommy B
Tourer

Received 562 Likes on 224 Posts
Default trap door helicoil

2000 FXDWG. Main drive gear sprocket nut threads stripped, had to pull trans to replace. Found that bottom rear 5/16 bolt head securing trap door to the case was broken off, prob as result of the aftermarket exhaust and bracket the prior owner installed. Pulled the stud, chased the threads with a tap and put it back together, but bolt wouldn't torque, threads were shot, so I took the trans back out and very carefully installed a helicoil, into which the bolt went very nicely- until I put the trans back in. Couldn't get the bolt to bite so out comes the trans again, where I found that the helicoil was installed at an ever-so-slight upward angle such that the bolt is less than 90 degrees. Knew I was taking a bit of a chance but I'm usually OK with a drill and wasn't going to pull the case to put it in a drill press. Solution- use round file to shave at the appropriate angle just enough of the trap door bolt hole to accommodate the bolt. Did that, prob between 1/8 and 1/16 of an inch total at the outside of the trap door, interior diam of the bolt hole not affected. Reinstalled the trans, bolt went in this time and torqued to spec. On reflection I'm a bit worried about the slight downward (away from bike) angle of the bolt with respect to (a) the trans load, to the extent that the bolt shaft bears it, since it's borne at the interior face of the trap door but not the exterior, and (b) the exhaust system load. Given that the bolt is pretty close to but not entirely square, but did torque to spec into steel helicoil threads, there are 5 other bolts securing the door in place, and the exhaust bracket is also held by the forward lower bolt, anyone think the repair might fail or cause some other type of failure? Sorry for the long-winded post but those are the facts. Any insight appreciated!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:47 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 263 Likes on 225 Posts

If you used blue loctite it should stay.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:12 PM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

If the case is aluminum, make sure that you don't use red loctite. It will eat away at the aluminum threads, leaving you with an even bigger mess.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Tommy B
Tourer

Received 562 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks all for the info. On closer inspection the steel exhaust bracket bolted to the borttom trap door bolts was improperly aligned, putting an unusual stress on the bolt at issue. I inserted a spacer to take up the slack. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your input.