Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Shifting Issues on 2015 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:27 AM
mtmajeski
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Issues on 2015 Street Bob

Greetings all,

Sorry if this is long-winded:

Having a few issues with my new 2015 Street bob. I bought the bike from the original owner with only 1.3k miles on it. Now it has 2k miles.

The bike already had HD forward controls put on (the less time consuming way without removing the primary covers to get the mid control shifter out). I noticed that the shifting was not at all smooth at the foot peg. Shifting from first to second (and downshifting from second to first) felt like the shifter peg was meeting more resistance then I've felt on my past bikes (19 motorcycles total, including previous Dynas). I'd say I'm a beginner "wrencher" but always willing to learn and have been slowly adding to my repertoire of things I can do. I didn't want the hassle of removing both the inner and outer primary covers, so I took it to the dealer to look at. $500 later, they installed the shift lever (one that comes with the HD forward controls) and removed the mid control shaft.

I noticed some clutch drag when the bike was cold (when pulling the clutch in after taking off, the bike would still slightly pull and coast as if not fully disengaged). Because they had just adjusted the clutch I took it back to the dealer. They said they adjusted the clutch again. Same issues. So after research (with help from this forum) I have adjusted my clutch pack and lever over 5 times to try to fine-tune. I've settled at 1/2 counterclockwise turn after lightly seated, and 1/16th free play. New Redline primary fluid, and redline shockproof trans fluid.

The clutch drag issues are much less pronounced, if not totally gone (and only when cold) however when the bike is cooler I still get that "sticky" feeling when upshifting from first to second, and likewise from second down to first.

Any opinions/advice out there? It's like a brand new bike, and still under warranty, but I'd prefer a DIY fix if possible before taking it back in to the dealer. I don't mind the clunking native to Harleys, but would like the shifting action to be much more "buttery" like all my previous bikes. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mtmajeski; 10-07-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-06-2016, 11:00 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Try only backing off the clutch adjuster screw about a 1/4 turn and see if it makes a difference. Clutch plates can be sticking when they are cold.

The following users liked this post:
mtmajeski (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 11:11 AM
mtmajeski
6th Gear

That's the only way I can explain it, it does seem like they are sticking, as when the bike is warm, all is golden. Thanks! I'll try that tonight after the bike is cold. There won't be any damage or issues with me adjusting it only 1/4 turn? I know the manual says 1/2-1 full turn.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mtmajeski
That's the only way I can explain it, it does seem like they are sticking, as when the bike is warm, all is golden. Thanks! I'll try that tonight after the bike is cold. There won't be any damage or issues with me adjusting it only 1/4 turn? I know the manual says 1/2-1 full turn.
As long as there is some free play, you won't damage anything. It will just give you more clutch rod travel which will give you more clutch disengagement. Meaning the plates will separate further.

If you start getting a slipping issue after doing this re-adjust it and back it off a little further.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:58 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

I think Mark meant, don't do the full adjustment procedure...just back out the adjustment screw 1/4 turn. That will open the plates a bit more, from where it is now.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:03 PM
mtmajeski
6th Gear

TriGeezer,

I think he meant doing the adjustment at 1/4 turn back. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the less you turn it back out, the more disengagement (which would prove Mark's advice accurate?)

Please tell me if I'm wrong

Old 10-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Banned

TriGeezer,

I think he meant doing the adjustment at 1/4 turn back. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the less you turn it back out, the more disengagement (which would prove Mark's advice accurate?)

Please tell me if I'm wrong
That's it, it will give you a tell tale sign if that's the issue.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

On my bike, which has had a similar problem from new, I adjust most of the slack out of the cable, in other words reduce the 1/16" to very little. That's my suggestion, but only do one of the suggestions, not both!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:52 PM
FAT BOB 2014
Stage III

I have a 2014 Fat Bob with 1900 miles on it, and just had to adjust the clutch. Shifting was not smooth, and couldn't feel it go into gear the way it should. Readjusted it, and much smoother shifting, and can feel it go into gear again.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:23 AM
mtmajeski
6th Gear

So I followed your advice Mark, and I noticed (even when cold) much smoother shifting from first to second, and back down. I thought "SWEET!" but then noticed clutch slipping ONLY in 5th gear (is it because its helical?). Ughhh. So I suppose I should readjust it back out to 1/2? and if there's some slightly rough shifting when cold, just live with it? Please give me your opinions..

Quick Reply: Shifting Issues on 2015 Street Bob