Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2003 Dyna Low Rider Clutch adjustment nut seized up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 PM
GlenD
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dyna Low Rider Clutch adjustment nut seized up?

So I am not sure if I am in the exact right place as I just joined HD-Forums. But I will give it a shot. So I have a 2003 Dyna Low Rider with about 34k miles and the clutch cable broke at the lever just straight snapped. It was just its time I guess. So I went and got myself a new clutch cable and installed it after looking at the old Clymer. No problem easy peasy.. But then to my dismay when I went to adjust the clutch I ran into a little issue. So I took off the Primary cover and the nut that you loosen to back out the adjustment rod is straight SEIZED-UP! I almost stripped the Allen slot and the nut got a little dinged up. So I took a off the snap ring and took out the whole thing the clutch adjustment bolt and release plate. But I left the rod in. What should I do? Buy a new one? Any idea what that costs? Or maybe stick it in the vice. I dont know how sensitive this thing is and dont want to go gommin on it and destroy something that might cost a small fortune. I hate to go to the Harley Dealer as I they will tell me to undoubtedly buy a whole transmission. There closed any how until tomorrow just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for tonight? IF I get it off and put ti all back together sense I took it apart to I have to do more than just adjust it now?

Last edited by GlenD; 03-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from here in Centennial!

Do you have a deep offset box end wrench so you can get a better bite on the nut? Re-installing it and giving the wrench a sharp rap with a hammer should break it loose.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 PM
GlenD
4th Gear

Yeah I used and 11/16th offset and couldn't get it while it was on. And then took the clutch release plate off with the bolt and nut on and stuck it in a vice and it is still seized up. I fi buy a new plate bolt and nut sense I took it off do I have to adjust anything else. I didn't take the rod out very far when I took off the plate left all that alone. My main concern is if i replace all that stuff can i just throw it back together?

Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 PM
QC
Club Member

Yup. What your having problems with is what sets the adjustment, so if you replace that, you should be good to go.
Good luck at the dealer.
I have a Clymer and the Harley manual. I suggest you get the Harley manual as well. you'll see the difference.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:56 PM
GlenD
4th Gear

HEy man do you work at the Autozone off Arapaho?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 PM
QC
Club Member

Nope. Which one is that? Where on Arapahoe?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 PM
GlenD
4th Gear

I was just wondering off of I-25 and Arapahoe. There is a dude that works there that I have talked to and he had a bike like yours. Thanks for answering my questions. I just didnt know if sense I took that off it messed with anything in the tranny or on the other side of the bike where i replaced that cable I didnt want to go to the dealership blind cause they would try to tell me who knows you know?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:09 PM
QC
Club Member

No problem.
Yup, I get get it. The guys down at Rocky Mountain are pretty good.
I'm not too far from that one but in the other side of the highway.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:19 PM
GlenD
4th Gear

Rocky Mountain is the best one in Denver for sure. They have always done me right.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:19 PM
GlenD
4th Gear

Ok so I replaced the clutch adjuster plate and bolt. And did everything I was supposed to. My new question is this. I am sure that that bike had the original clutch cable on it. SO the new one seems to be like really sensitive unless i put more slack in the line than 16th of an inch I mean i barely have to pull it in at all to shift. Is that how its supposed to be? Can i adjust anything to make this not so tight?

Quick Reply: 2003 Dyna Low Rider Clutch adjustment nut seized up?