Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Late 84 XLH 1000 only shifts into first gear and neutral.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 PM
goldeneyechance
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late 84 XLH 1000 only shifts into first gear and neutral.

Hey guys, sorry if someone else has had this problem, first time posting here and I couldn't find a related post. Long story short, bought a late 84 xlh that was a wreck. Primary pulled apart, missing half of the clutch basket, and the cylinders were rusted and pitted. (It should also be stated, this is my first real mechanical project and my first Harley). Rebuilt the top end, no problem. Rebuilt the primary (which was a nightmare and awfully expensive due to how difficult it is to locate parts for the clutch basket and the basket itself), didn't appear to be a problem. Also, this is a late 84, so it has the alternator not the generator, which only matters for this because the clutch basket actually houses the rotor magnets for the charging system.

Now Before I get much farther into what I've done, I'll explain the problem. It only shifts into first gear and neutral, and getting between those two is awfully difficult. Kind of feels like my clutch isn't fully disengaging and my clutch lever doesn't want to spring all the way back when I disengage and reengage the clutch. Not sure what to make of this, as its my first build. Any help?

Here's a list of what I've done and what I've found in the primary.

-Rebuilt the clutch basket and put new discs in the basket. (99% positive everything in there is correct, as I checked and checked and checked before I put it in).

-Had to pull the trans basket out as some moron before me didn't put a bearing on the far end of the primary shaft (the one which supports the primary shaft in the case). Cleaned up the gears (got rid of burrs and grind marks from it riding against the case without that bearing), made sure it shifted fine, put it back in.

-Also had to put in a new shifter shaft as the old one was bent from the accident which im assuming decommissioned this bike.

The bike then sat for a while because I'm a lazy *** and it took me forever to finish the rest of the stuff. Finally just the other day got the gas tank relined and cleaned, painted it, cleaned up my exhaust and did some other cosmetic stuff. Finally Get it running yesterday, and take it out for a ride today and behold! Only first gear and my clutch feels like its not fully disengaging. So! Where should I go from here? Where do I start looking to find this problem? Don't want to take it to a shop because I'm a broke college student and I need to learn to not be a dweeb and just do it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for the help in advance!

Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Clutch cable may be binding.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I dont know much about sportsters but could it be a clutch cable adjustment issue?