Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Bike will not move in gear on the ground!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 PM
pkp61
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike will not move in gear on the ground!

Road bike the other day. Large noise coming from aft primary cover area. Pulled over and shut off. Restarted bike and put into gear. Bike would not move. Noise sounds like something spinning. Got the bike home and jacked up. Pulled primary cover off and nothing looks broke. Oil looked fresh. Some slack in chain. But nothing big. Put bike into gear and rotated back tire. Belt turns with gear but nothing inside primary turns. Normal? Fired bike up. Put into gear. Everything spins inside primary with no noise. Pulled clutch lever in. Tire still turns. Noise is not showing up with tire off ground. Clutch, tranny? I am going to try to repair this myself so any guesses or suggestions would be great and where to start. Since nothing looks broke I am not sure what to tear apart first. Thanks for your help!

Remember - HD means "Hundred Dollars" everytime.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM
THABULL
Road Master
Default RE: Bike will not move in gear on the ground!

Sounds normal to me , mine want move on the ground in gear with the clutch pulled in. Haft to put it in nuetral to move it.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:43 PM
pkp61
Novice

Its not that. It will not move down the road when I let the cluctch out! Not pushing it. When I put into gear it makes a spinning loud noise inside primary cover and it stays still.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone in this thread speak English?
The problem is in the clutch or transmission. No one will know anything else without looking.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 PM
pkp61
Novice

I agree. Tore it apart. Its the freaking tranny. What the hell. Last thing I thought would blow up on the bike. Seriously, does this happen a lot on HD's. It only has 18,500 miles on it. Although it's a 94 FXSTC. Now I really know why I came up with my signature.

Remember - HD means "Hundred Dollars" everytime.

And this case a freaking lot more.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 PM
pkp61
Novice

By the way, I found this out by firing bike up without primary cover on. Clutch is engaging with lever movements. Sound is in the tranny. I guess I am not speaking English here but would it be possible that something else besidesa new tranny being installed could be wrong. Anything minor I could look at before I pull trans. I am pulling primary apart tomorrow to get to the tranny shaft. I guess what I am asking here is there anything in tranny that could break, come loose, etc without taking tranny all the way out? Thanks for replies.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Stkman
Advanced

How do you know for sure it is the transmission? The clutch could be loose on the splines or spun on the input shaft. Have you drained the trans to see if there is any metal or pulled the cover off the top of the trans to see if there is any damage? Pull the primary chain off and see if you can spin the rear tire and shift gears through all 5 gears, if the trans stays locked up then I would say something is wrong in the trans, if it shifts fine then I don't think anything is wrong with the trans. Good Luck.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a friend with a 95 wide glide have a similar problem. It ended up being only the front belt pulley. I'm not sure how its attached to the transmission or clutch shaft but that was all that was wrong with his dyna!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My money is on the front pulley coming loose. Had the same thing on my 86. I think you have to remove the inner primary & behind it is a big *** nut that holds the pulley on.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 AM
pkp61
Novice

Front tranny sprocket it is. Big *** nut backed off and sprocket spun leaving zero splines. Very poor design. Found out they made a upgrade the next yr (95) to a thicker spline which is a kit. Cost of repair including sprocket kit, gaskets, seals,oil and I went ahead and replaced starter clutch was 171.00. Not bad considering at 55 mph went spun it sounded like my tranny came apart! Thanks everyone for their help. I am pretty sure I saved myself some money doing it myself except for the beer my buddies drank of mine watching me do it!

Later

Quick Reply: Bike will not move in gear on the ground!