Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Redline is the answer to the Whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 AM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Redline is the answer to the Whine

I wanted to share the results to some issues I was having with my 07 RoadKing. I took the bike to the dealer to have the 1000 mile transfusion and some typical adjustments, and when dropping it off asked service about Redline. They indicated that they have never put Redline in an 07, that the oils suggested by HD would heal the problem. I pickup the bike up that night and quickly noticed the whine was gone. After riding for a while I noticed the whine reappearing. That suggested a possibleissue with viscocity and oil breakdown which may be the culpret to the issue.
On the way home I placed an order for Redline Shockproof Heavy, pickup up the order several days later, installed and in an instant knew the problem was gone. Shifting was smoother, first gear whine was less and when I sped up enough to get to fifth I had to count the gearsbecause I had no idea I was in fifth. That whine was also gone. After several days and several hundred miles, I hear a very slight whine but the problem has dimminished by 80%. I now drive my bike in fifth gear without having to skip though and go to sixth and has made my ride the enjoyable experience that it should be.
My thanks to all who posted about this problem and those who suggested Redline. I am a believer.
To those who still have the issue, do yourself a favor spend the few dollars for a quart, install it and ride in fifth as the bike was intended.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 AM
rbtgold
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Redline is the answer to the Whine

hmmmmm..ive tried amsoil (85-140) and redline heavy in my 07 ultra clatterbox.. both had little improvement after warming up, same clattering racket and 5th gear sounds horrendous. it take the fun out of this bike.face it....harleybotched up this"improvement".
rbt in mke
07 ultra
06 ultra (sold)
03 rkc (sold)
and a whole bunch more!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:25 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

There are several Redline Shockproof gear oils. I'm guessing you probably used 75w140.

Yes?
No?
Other?

Any info you can make available will be appreciated.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM
rbtgold
Advanced

>>>>There are several Redline Shockproof gear oils. I'm guessing you probably used 75w140. <<<<<

yes..i had tried the heavy shockproof.....the red goop!. some owners may have had better luck than i but like i said..afterits thoughly warmed up, its the same clattering/howling racket. a friend with an 07 ultra had the same results as mine.
maybe hd's new iso drive band-aid may calm things down....will wait and see.
rbt

Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 AM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser

Shockprook heavy comes in one viscosity. 75W/240. I did not think it was goopy at all. In fact I thought it was quit thin concidering the 75W rating. I did a quick test on the Syn3 I removed from the bike, by dropping a few drops of the Reline into a pool of the Syn3 in the drain pan and noticed the Redline sank quite rapidly to the bottom of the pan. It also seemed to have a much slippery feel in the finger test(subjective I know).

Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
ClutchCargopa
Cruiser

I also question the ISO drive fis for the spocket. In actuality you are applying a rubber damper on the spocket at the wheel. In my opinion that isa huge distance from the place where the problem exists. If you think of a simple lever , a small degree of disturbance will be magnified as you move farther away.However I am not an HD engineer, I would think they have this figured out, BUT they are also the ones who gave us the trannie issues.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got my redline heavy shock proof and mtl, fixin to put them in. will give some updates once it quits raining

Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put it in, just as everyone says, quiet! well as quiet as a harely is going to get.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:03 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: rbtgold

>>>>There are several Redline Shockproof gear oils. I'm guessing you probably used 75w140. <<<<<

yes..i had tried the heavy shockproof.....the red goop!. some owners may have had better luck than i but like i said..afterits thoughly warmed up, its the same clattering/howling racket. a friend with an 07 ultra had the same results as mine.
maybe hd's new iso drive band-aid may calm things down....will wait and see.
rbt

Shock proof heavy is a 75/250 wt oil. When cold it's 75 wt, Once it heats up it's 250 wt oil. If your tranny is still making noise with this oil in, you got tranny problems.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Bluethunder
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I am a red Line Distributor. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, otherwise I will leave you alone

Quick Reply: Redline is the answer to the Whine