Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Cant push in gear with clutch pulled

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 03:12 PM
thumper89
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cant push in gear with clutch pulled

My 1989 sportster will not push when in gear with clutch pulled and will try to take off on me when started with clutch pulled buuuut it works perfectly fine in all the other gears. i thought it was just the adjustment but it is not. It has new friction plates and the steels were not warped at all anyone have any ideas what the issue could be im lost any help is appreciated thank you in advance

Old 12-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Sounds to me like it's still out of adjustment? Better redo when you get some time.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:58 PM
thumper89
Intermediate

No its not ive redone the adjustment over 50 times no im not exaggerating

Old 12-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,191 Likes on 653 Posts

I think theres still some drag even with the clutch pulled in. And with all the ratio stuff that goes on in a transmission and motor chain/sprockets im guessing that is normal.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:18 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,315 Likes on 11,158 Posts

This is caused by the clutch dragging, or too much fluid. Even though. You’ve redone the adjustment...are you sure you’re doing it correctly?

Make sure the primary fluid is at the correct level. And one way of cheating is to keep the adjuster a little snug, so it’s not allowing any slip. As long as the clutch doesn’t slip, that might help.

Oh yeah...are you sure you didn’t leave an extra shim or plate in the clutch...don’t ask how I know this.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:18 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,503 Likes on 4,615 Posts

Difficulty pushing a bike that is in gear with the clutch lever puled in is normal on a wet clutch bike.

Rock it back and forth while in gear, clutch lever pulled in, this will break the plates free, somewhat.

But now you know, if you want to push the bike, put the transmission into neutral.

The following users liked this post:
Vec (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 10:28 PM
thumper89
Intermediate

Thank you for all the responses im going to check the fluid level. yes i am sure i did the adjustment correctly ive worked on many bikes and never had an issue i even questioned myself on it and opened my manual and watched a video to ensure that the procedure didnt slip my mind...one thing that puzzles me is i never had this problem on any other harley ive owned or ridden always was always able to pull clutch and move it as i please and curious why it wouldnt have this problem in the other gears

Old 12-20-2019, 06:09 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,959 Likes on 2,579 Posts

The higher gears just have a different ratio which is allowing you to move the bike with less effort.

Something is wrong with your clutch, you should be able push it around with minimal drag, always better in neutral, but it should be easy enough in first with clutch pulled in. I suggest you go to a local Indy and have them take a look. Sounds like you have been in there so many times you may not be able to see the issue any more, it happens. You look at it so many times it becomes a blur, but another set of eyes might see it right away. For sure you have an issue though, good luck.

The following users liked this post:
thumper89 (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 04:53 PM
thumper89
Intermediate

so i took off the clutch hub and while i was doing so i noticed a wobble in it right so i take off the snap ring that holds it onto the shaft and i was missing a spacer could that effect the throw out?

Old 12-20-2019, 05:18 PM
thumper89
Intermediate

also i found the spacer in my tool box so thats a bonus lol

Quick Reply: Cant push in gear with clutch pulled