Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2018 Softail Street Bob Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 06:05 PM
arbam8
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Softail Street Bob Clutch Issue

Hi everybody!

I'm new on this forum and I've been having some issues with my bike, so I'll try to explain it as clearly as I can:

The story:
I got my brand new 2018 Softail Street Bob two years ago. It's my first Harley, but I also have a Triumph and I've had two other bikes. I've been riding for 5 years.
I've been really happy with it and I already changed some parts (Hollywood handlebars, Sundowner seat, Vance & Hines slip-ons, sissy bar and crash bars). I never had an issue with my bike until some weeks ago.
I've just put 1,000 miles on the bike, but some weeks ago I took it to the dealership for its two-year service. I picked it up and took it home, but as soon as I parked, it began leaking oil from the oil drain plug. I was mad, because I've changed the oil several times on my Bonneville and it never leaks, and my Harley had never leaked before until that day, so I took it back to the dealership and they said they would repair it. They didn't want to admit it, but I think that they damaged the o-ring and didn't replace it.
So... later I picked it up again and there was no more oil leaking, but I felt something weird on the clutch...

The problem:
The feel on my clutch lever used to be smooth but firm, you know... it used to be fine, but then, after I picked it up from the dealership, these were the symptoms:
- There was a lot of free play on the lever
- It was hard to find neutral
- I had to pull the lever to the top in order to switch to 1st gear
- When in first gear and with the clutch fully engaged the bike would go forward. I needed to hold the front brakes for it to stand still
- The most confusing thing is that it would suddenly feel alright for some minutes, but with a bit of traffic, it would happen again
So I decided to take it back to the dealership again and they adjusted it from the fancy yellow tube with the red/orange cap and they said that it was it.
It felt fine, so I thought that it was it indeed, but today I gave it a short ride (like 6 miles) and I felt the symptoms again, although this time they were not as shocking as the first time; the first time I thought that I wouldn't make it home.

The options:
I thought that it could be because of the position of my clutch line after I changed the stock bars for the Hollywood (I added a picture of how the bike looks), but I replaced them a year ago and I didn't have that problem until now, so I'm leaning towards the possibility of the dealership being the cause of this issue.
I searched, but there doesn't seem to be any recall for the 2018 Softail Street Bob.

What do you think about it? What could the problem be? Have you experienced something similar? I would take it to the dealership, but I don't really trust them now, since a simple task as the oil change was such a problem.

Thank you for your time and for your answers!
Ride safe!

Old 09-03-2020, 06:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,986 Likes on 1,726 Posts

Originally Posted by arbam8

they adjusted it from the fancy yellow tube with the red/orange cap and they said that it was it.
Welcome to the forum. You lost me with the quoted statement. Did they do a full clutch adjustment at the basket or just a cable adjustment at the clutch perch?

The following users liked this post:
arbam8 (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 06:43 PM
arbam8
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!

After I took it back they did a cable adjustment, but they didn't want to tell me if they had previously adjusted something at the basket (when they did the oil change).

Old 11-12-2020, 04:00 PM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by arbam8
Thank you!

After I took it back they did a cable adjustment, but they didn't want to tell me if they had previously adjusted something at the basket (when they did the oil change).
Why would they do a cable adjustment for a leaking oil drain plug? If they just took it upon themselves to adjust the cable, then I would say to take it back and have them put it back where it was on their dime. I will tell you this.... changing the routing of the cable often results in a change of free play at the lever. Even something as simple as a zip tie to hold the cable in place can result in a change in free play and in clutch feel. If I were you I would get my cable routed properly before any clutch adjustments at either the mid way cable adjustment, or behind the derby cover.