Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission rebuild dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 10:44 AM
TruckerXbones
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild dilemma

So my 2011 Softail with a six speed is getting a transmission rebuild. Not even sure if it needs it. But the bike started making a loud noise on the decel or when the clutch was pulled in. The Harley shop thought at first it was the clutch hub bearing. Replaced that but is still making the noise. So they tore the transmission out and apart and still didn’t find anything major. The shops only theory is that since the bike has 140,000 on it, everything is worn. He said the shifter forks were worn but he’s seen worse. There was some metal dust through all the parts and bearings. We also found a chip in the Sixth gear of the countershaft. So as of right now all bearings and seals and countershaft and shifter forks are being replaced. Hoping maybe that it fixes the noise. One question I have, is it safe to reuse high mileage gears even though they look in perfect condition. They are only like 50 to 100 bucks per gear. I’m worried about metal fatigue on the old ones. Or am I just worrying too much? I was thinking about a Baker Grudge box but it’s 1,000.00 in parts with the countershaft or 3,500 for the baker, so I guess I’ll give this a try for now.

By the way the noise sounded like a very loud version of a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle. I was looking around the bike while riding like something fell off or I was dragging something. The engine sounds great.