Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange noise when clutch engages from take off

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:34 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default strange noise when clutch engages from take off

remember the days when you drove a 4-speed automobile? you knew exactly when the throw out bearing needed replaced because it would always give you that tell-tale noise when engaging the auto in 1st gear.
i am getting that same noise on my ultra when taking off from a stand still.
i am not aware of it having anything like a throw out bearing in the set-up. what could it be?
i have replaced all clutches and steel with Barnett just last year and this year i added the AIM vpc 95 LT.
everything torque properly

Old 07-04-2016, 02:12 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Which side of the bike is the noise coming from?

Old 07-04-2016, 03:39 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser

hard to say. sounds just like the noise when a throw out bearing is gone bad in an old 4-speed

Old 07-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

The throw out bearing is located beneath the clutch release cover on the right side of the motorcycle. The Harley throw out bearing is actually very small. Baker makes a heavy duty replacement.

The following users liked this post:
cbaker1@farmersagent.com (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Sounds like a loose compensator nut or possibly a bad compensator. Any new noise at start up or shut down?

Old 07-04-2016, 04:21 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Well, as has been said, they do have throw out bearings, they are on the right side of the bike.
But on the left side you have all kinds of candidates that could sound like a bad throw out bearing.
As I recall, throw out bearings only made noise when the clutch was released by depressing the clutch. But there are a lot more things in our bikes that react when letting out the clutch. Lots of bearings begin moving, the compensator, primary chain on gear sprockets, primary chain tensioner, heck even the trans could growl when taking off if something is wrong.
If you could localize the noise it might help in finding the problem.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Inner primary bearings have been known to make a "growling" noise like you describe. Pretty common noise and relatively easy to fix.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:12 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser

there is no growling or grinding noises. the compensator has been upgraded 3 years ago to a heavy duty S/E unit.
it is approaching the 40k mark. this off season just may be replacing the inner primary bearings and seals just for good measure.
i thought the old 4-speed noise analogy would be recognized by most of you, i guess not.
i will do some research on the throw out bearing. sounds easy enough to replace.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:10 AM
ratglide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to find an answer in this thread as I've got the same type of sound. The clutch, gearbox, belt and everything else has been checked and adjusted.

If I putt around on my bike I have no probs but if I try and get off the lights with even moderate throttle I get a chirping sound from the clutch area and a some jerking as if the clutch is grabbing.

Pulled the clutch out thinking it was the riveted middle plate but that has already been replaced. Clutch was perfect up to a few months ago.

Ride it soft on the line and pull second, and you can ring its neck and no noise. Try and get away briskly in first and its chirp city.

I do run AFT in my primary but also run it in my 88 FLH and have had no probs at all.

Any thoughts boys...?

Old 03-09-2019, 07:42 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Old thread but I just installed a new Barnett xtra plate clutch, and spring type pressure plate. Same noise same symptoms as above. Basket and all other components are fine. I did go with ATF . I do not have a compensator.
Makes a squak sound unless you baby it.

Quick Reply: strange noise when clutch engages from take off