Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch sticking 82 FXRS, again

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 05:40 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Default clutch sticking 82 FXRS, again

1982 FXRS Shovelhead dry clutch with chain oiler
After sitting almost a year I found my clutch plates sticking when I tried to take it for a ride. I took it apart and cleaned the steels and friction plates with brake cleaner. Put it back together and took it out for a 2 hour ride. Ran great, neutral was easier than ever, no lurching, smooth shifts.
Went to take it out the other day after it sat for 10 days and the clutch was sticking again. couldn't put it in gear without it stalling.
Took it apart today. first drained the primary and measured how much oil came out. At least 13 oz plus whatever was left in drain pan and clinging to primary.
The plates were covered in oil. Should they be?? Last oil change I used Valvoline VR1 Racing SAE 60.
There is no clutch retainer installed. I pulled and yanked on the hub and didn't feel any movement. I don't think that is the problem. When I pulled the plates they were really sticky with oil.
Right now I have them soaking in mineral spirits. Can it be that I did not clean them well enough? Is there too much oil staying in the primary? Oil too heavy?
It says to do use new gaskets and do a vacuum test on the primary to be sure the oil is being sucked up by the pump. I don't have a vacuum pump. Is 1 pint of oil left in the primary excessive?

Old 11-20-2022, 05:50 PM
Y2K
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,196 Likes on 1,343 Posts

13 oz is way too much,there should be very little if the oil is returning to the tank as it's supposed to.
I rid myself of the issue (and clutch wear particles contaminating the oil) with my early '84 (last chain drive dry clutch FXR) by plugging off the oiler and return line sealing the primary and just running enough ATF to reach the chain with a set of Barnett wet or dry clutch plates.
I also upgraded to a 5 finger clutch hub,it worked great with no more sticking plates.

The following users liked this post:
vicsponjr (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 09:31 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

I have to check my service manual but I don't think neither the oiler or return are adjustable. Primary may be sucking air and not returning all the oil? I didn't replace the gaskets after cleaning them the last time, I wanted to put it together and see if it fixed the problem and it looks like it did. I have a new set of gaskets. Maybe the new gaskets will solve the extra oil issue and sticking plates? I'm not ready to block off the oil lines yet. Hasn't pissed me off enough yet.
The plan is to clean them up, scuff them up a bit and reinstall with all new gaskets. Weather permitting I'll take it for a nice ride and pull the drain plug and see how much oil is left in there after new gaskets.
Anything else I can try before plugging the oiler?

Old 11-21-2022, 09:53 AM
vicsponjr
Road Master

If the excess oil laying in the primary is the problem would installing wet/dry friction plates help?