Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

rear drive belt life

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts
Default rear drive belt life

How long should my drive belt last? I have the primary off and want to put it back together, and the belt looks good, but I wanted to know if I should replace it now. only about 45,000 on now.

thanks in advance.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:56 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: rear drive belt life

I've got over 100k on mine. If I had the inner primary off the bike, I'd probably replace it, just because ....

Old 02-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the quick response. I will do it.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:07 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine on the Road King went at about 60,000, but it had had a rock hole right in the middle of it forever. I'm told that they are very unpredictable. Some last forever, and some not so long. I read somewhere that expected life is about 50,000. If I already had things apart, I would spend the 130 or so that it cost to replace it.

I lost mine on the road from Prescott to Jerome Az. on a Sunday afternoon. Sure spoiled what had been a great weekend up to that point. We were 400 miles away from home.

Friend of mine lost his in Oklahoma City on the way to Milwaulkee, at about 50,000. Talk about a nightmare. If we had known how bad the dealer was in Oklahoma City, we would have taken it back to Amarillo, Tx. Great dealer there.

In the future I plan to have one of the temporary belts for both the EG and the Heritage anytime I'm 100 miles from home.

Also check the sprockets real close. If the teeth are flaking like chrome peeling, they need to be replaced. If you don't, you will eat a new belt sooner.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Markcuda
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

113,300 and mine still looks good[sm=itsok.gif]

Old 02-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Triple Z
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill's comment about the belt picking up a rock is worth noting.
I've seen customer's bikes with original belts going on 100K.
And it's not uncommon to pick up a pebble and have it punch a hole in the middle of the belt. No problem, keep riding.
But if you get a cut on the outer edges, the belt will usually fail within a few k miles.
I rotate the wheel and check the belt for holes and cuts, every now and then.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been told to expect 100K on the belt. Also was advised not to put any lube on the belt as it attracts debris which wear the belt and sprokets prematurely.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:42 PM
DLeppik
Advanced

I think pococj was making a distinction between the outer primary and the INNER primary case. Indeed if you have the Inner primary case off for some reason and you have maybe 50,000 or a small tear in your belt you should have the belt replaced at that time. If you just have the outer primary off you will still have alot of work to do to get to the belt and depending if you need the belt drive gear replaced due to wear. I would just check it once in a while, dont do any burn outs and I think it will last. One of those emercency belts would be a good idea, I think I will get one before I go off on my trip this summer.

Doug

Old 02-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

Both are off, but I took a close look at the belt, and it still looks great, so I'm going to change my mind and stick with the original.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Lev
Tourer

Mine snapped at 7500, mainly due to a stone lodging at the edge of the belt causing a weak spot. Still I was pleased in a way, as at first I thought I had grenaded the box. The belts on the new model Buells are replaced at the 25k service. The following was posted by a Harley dealer, and may be of interest if anyone does have a Belt problem, even if caused by stone damage.

Just for reference, I looked up the drive belt warranty in the HD/Buell global warranty manual. On page 47 of the current manual (Rev. 9/03) it states:

Belts that fail on a vehicle within the two year warranty period due to manufacturing defect are covered parts and labor.

Belts that fail due to stone/debris contact, while the vehicle is within the two year warranty, and it is equipped with either the original belt/stone guard, or a Harley-Davidson/Buell accessory belt/stone guard, are also covered parts and labor.

Belts that fail due to incorrect installation, misuse, stone damage due to non-Harley-Davidson/Buell stone guards or normal wear and tear are not covered under warranty.

The older global warranty manual (Rev. 9/02) stated the same thing on page 44 with the exception of the one year warranty period.

2003 XB belts had a service interval of 15k miles, 2004 XB belts had a service interval of 25k miles.

If your bike is still under the factory warranty, has the original belt guards, and your belt has not yet reached it's recommended service interval, there should be no way for any dealer to deny you the warranty repair. If your dealer attempts to deny the repair please have them reference their warranty manual. If they do not have a currenty warranty manual they can access it through hdnet.com in the service section or they can order one through HD using part number 99516-04.

If all else fails, you can also call HD customer service at (414) 343-4056.

Mike Luddy, Jr.
Ray Price HD/Buell
Lev

Quick Reply: rear drive belt life