Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Can I borrow your tools? Jacksonville, FL

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
EdGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I borrow your tools? Jacksonville, FL

If you live in Jacksonville, FL and happen to have the following tools, may I borrow them for a few hours?

- TC88 Tensioner Unloader
- TC88 Gear Locking Tool

I just need to re-install my new Chain Tensioner.

Let me know.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
CrashX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can I borrow your tools? Jacksonville, FL

Ed, just out of curiosity, since I read your other thread on this. Did you remove the cam support plate, or just the outer tensioner?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 PM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GOOD QUESTION?? DID YA?? - not without removing the outer gears. An openend wrench works for the outer and a screw driver works for the inner. Assembly is without the chains so you can just push them back and pin them with allen wrenches. I made an outer gear lock out of a 1/2" piece of brass.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:42 PM
EdGlide
Cruiser

just the tensioner... i was able to remove the damaged one, but i'm not sure how to re-install the new tensioner without removing the chain and sprocket... we have the same bike.. cool

ORIGINAL: CrashX

Ed, just out of curiosity, since I read your other thread on this. Did you remove the cam support plate, or just the outer tensioner?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Ed,
There are 2 tensioners. The one on the outside plate that you are playing with and one that you can't see until you remove the chain, gears, and outer plate and cams after you disassemble the rocker boxes, remove the rockers, and remove the push rods, and secure the lifters from falling out when you pull the cams and cam plate.. It is the inner one that usually wears out the most. I strongly suggest that you get help and a service manual.
Sincerely,
Andy

Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah and don't forget to photograph everything you are doing with a digital camera to make sure it goes back the way you found it. Just a thought.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
CrashX
Tourer

That's what I was trying to get at. There are 2 tensioners, and when you said you removed the tensioner, but had not removed any gears, it made me wonder. Usually the inner one is worse than the outer one, and that one is the one you need to remove the support plate to get to. I've got the books, but don't have the tools, just wanted to make sure you were doing it right. If you need to see parts diagrams, or need torque specs, I can help with that.
BTW, nice bike

Old 03-17-2008, 05:42 PM
EdGlide
Cruiser

oh in my case my outter was completely gone... i can somewhat see my inner from the top opening and it seems to still in tact. But, i guess i'll never know until i open it up... dont have the money to do both at the moment so i'm just doing the outer one.

ed
329-6664

ORIGINAL: CrashX

That's what I was trying to get at. There are 2 tensioners, and when you said you removed the tensioner, but had not removed any gears, it made me wonder. Usually the inner one is worse than the outer one, and that one is the one you need to remove the support plate to get to. I've got the books, but don't have the tools, just wanted to make sure you were doing it right. If you need to see parts diagrams, or need torque specs, I can help with that.
BTW, nice bike

Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

If that inner one takes a dump - cost to rebuild the engine might cost a bit more.

Which brings up a question: if that outer one is really bad - where are all those pieces from it?

IMO - would pull her apart - and AT LEAST clean out the cam plate while replacing both tensioners.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Road King Kid
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: EdGlide

oh in my case my outter was completely gone... dont have the money to do both at the moment so i'm just doing the outer one.

Ed,

If the outer tensioner is completely gone as you state, then you don't have the money NOT to do both of them. I would park that bike until you get yourself some adjustable pushrods and both the inner and outer replacement tensioners.

Quick Reply: Can I borrow your tools? Jacksonville, FL