Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

How much Metal is TOO much in transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:14 AM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much Metal is TOO much in transmission?

Hey guys, I'm having some thoughts about the life span of my tranny in my 02 RKC with about 25000 miles on it. Last fall changed out my tranny oil because I put an EZ pull clutch kit in my bike. When draining the tranny oil, I noticed a rather large amount of Metal shavings coming out with the oil. There were some small shavings on my drainplug and when I pulled the clutch cover off there were more shavings sitting in the nooks and crannies inside. I passed this off to it being probably the first time the tranny oil being changed. I bought the bike used about 3 years ago and the Harley dealer that has serviced it since new does not have record of changing the tranny oil.The oil came out looking like silver metallic paint!! So, I cleaned everything out as much as possible and filled er up.The bike had always shifted smoothly and never had any issues with anything. But this past winter I changed the clutch cable out on my bike and drained the tranny again and noticed a little more metal but no where near as much as the first time. So I cleaned everything out again and put er back together. Then last week I was out riding for my first time spring ride and about 40 miles from home my speedo stopped working. I got home and pulled the sensor out and it was covered in metal fuzz. No chunks or shavings but just fuzz. I changed the sensor and everything was then fine.
later that week I took her out for another putt since it was about 40 degrees and I noticed that it seemed to shift somewhat more firmly into gears but it eventually went back to normal after a few miles. On the way home the speedo stopped working again and I brought er home and pulled the sensor again and it had some more metal on it, I cleaned it put it back in and drained the tranny oil again to find some more metal shavings on the drainplug. The shavings were about a 1/4" long and flat. I drained everything again while it was hot and then put in some Redline Heavy Shockproof oil. Everything seems to work again after a 5 mile ride.

How much metal is too much? How much of a chore is it to change the gearset?
I just dont want to leave myself stranded somewhere.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:36 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How much Metal is TOO much in transmission?

You need to pull the tranny. Way too much shavings and something is eating itself up.
Ron

Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Me personally.....I would continue riding it until it obviously does not shift right anymore. I would drain the oil more often and keep an eye on the condition of the oil.

It could be a heavy buildup of sludge and contaminants from the fluid not being changed enough.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 PM
jcboof
Tourer

ok, I took it for another ride today, about 25 miles and when I got home, I drained a little more oil out and there was absolutely nothing on the drain plug, The tranny still shifts fine and is smooth. I let it sit for about another hour and then pulled the plug again, Still no metal on the drain plug. I'm just wondering if it was just left over metal in the case somewhere and it just took 3 oil changes to get it all out.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

If the tranny sounds and shifts ok,I would not worriy about it yet.
I think it would start making noise andor hard to shift if there was a problem.
If you cant sleep at nite thinking about it and you have the cash ,then tear it down.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The speedo sensor must create a small magnetic field because I have heard several people have the same issue. Your trans probably never had the 1000 mile service. So you have probably been riding around with all the break-in debris in there pasting itself to all the corners and now you are flushing it out. If it works ok then keep riding it IMO. But keep an eye on it and you may want to get a used oil analysis done when your current gear oil hits 5000 miles by blackstone labs. That will tell you what metal if any is in there. (costs $22)

Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 PM
uglyd1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked a Harley mechanic about the amount of metal after my first tranny fluid change (500mi). He said that "it was normal and that I would get that for a couple of fluid changes". Maybe this is the case with yours. Personally I didn't want to continue seeing all that metal so I decided to try another trans fluid.I put in some synthetic amsoil severe gear 75/90 after my first fluid change. That was the end of metal in the fluid for me. I didnt notice any other advantages, but the fluid was definitely free of metal debris at my next tranny service of 5K. Not sure what fluid you are using but maybe a switch would help out like it helped my trans. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
lecomte38
Tourer

Did the dip stick break off? get ground up in the mixer?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My .02 and EXPERIENCE would dictate pulling gearset and replacing ALL bearings. By all I include the transmission main bearing, 5th gear needle bearings (2ea), and counter-shaft needle bearing.

About 6 years ago while two up driving through West Virginia the right side counter shaft bearing failed on the Jim's 6 speed. I had installed the transmission 13 months earlier. I was at the mercy of the dealer in Charleston, WV. Jim's sent a new gearset at no costbutthe dealer charged me $600 just to install it.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled the gearset because of shifting problems. Needle bearings fell out of the main drive gear and countershaft needle bearings were frozen. My gut tells me the dealer did NOT change these bearings and they failef from the debrie left from the big bearing failure.

My advice, spend the money NOW. Cost of repair on the road would buy you a 6 speed. I'd probably spend the money now and go ahead with an Ultima 6 speed.

Like I said, my .02...

Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 AM
firehog383
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 2002 RK and the problem was a bearing. You need to replace it. I rode mine with the bad bearing from coast to coast and back. They are tough tranny's but my bet is you are losing a bearing.

Quick Reply: How much Metal is TOO much in transmission?