Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

07 SG - Primary Whine - Suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:39 PM
RenoGlide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 SG - Primary Whine - Suggestions ?

07 SG, 7800 miles, Stage 1 mods but no mods to the primary area
About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a slight rpm related whine on the Primary side, hot or cold.Not a biggie then, but it got louder
Checked the fluid, HDs Formula stuff, it was fine
Had to take it in for another warranty issue so had the Dealer check it out
No argument, they agreeedthe whinewas an unusual noise & test rode it
They took the cover off, found nothing unusual, shoe wear was fine, adjuster worked fine, teeth looked good, saw nothing wrong
I talked to the PhD mech that worked on it, someone I know & he said ... "beats me whats causing it, but its not normal"
Talked to the SM and he agreed it was odd... saying all we can do is document it for now
Rode it 200 miles yesterday & its getting slightly louder ... rises & falls w/ rpms in gear or neutral

Im thinking its the auto adjusting chaiin tensioner but have not took it apart yet

So ... anyone have the same noise , or suggestions as to the cause

Thanks
Jim
www.FastAire.com

Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 106 Posts
Default RE: 07 SG - Primary Whine - Suggestions ?

I think I have the same problem with my 03 King, 'cept I would describe my noise as more of a rattle or whirring-type, in gear or neutral at a certain RPM range. I have isolated the noise to the area of my primary. This wasn't there before and the only thing I can think ofis the fluid that I just changed (primary and tranny) I used HD Formula +. It appears different than what was in there before. I have to put a couple hundred more miles on it to see if the noise lesssens or increases. Then I will try chaning to a heavier fluid and see if the noise disappears. I double checked amounts and put in what exactly what was recommended, primary chain has proper tension. If you find out before I do, plse post results. I took the bike for a ride to get the fluidsup tooperating temp prior to changing the fluids and don't recall hearing it, but then I wasn't really paying attention until after I did the work. So it leads me to think itwas the fluids that I put in.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the exact same issue with my 06. Changed the oil and found some metal shavings. Mechanical noise is louder. Took it in last week and they took it all apart and re-torqued the compensator nut, checked the chain, clutch everything.....nothing. They admitted it is louder than most primaries but could find nothing. I checked my trans oil for metal because that is the first warning sign that the inner primary bearing is going bad and nothing on the magnet or in the oil. I am out of warranty and they charged me nothing as well.

I thought my chain was too tight as well but nada......tensioner shoe was like brand new and the chain was in spec. Mine rises and falls with rpm as well. The tech added about 1 oz extra oil on the refill and it seems to be a bit quieter on the ride home. Could the 32oz oil spec from HD be too little to properly lube the chain?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 AM
RenoGlide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whine or whirr.... The Formula + that was in there when it started had 2000+ miles on it so I didnt consider that an issue. The 07 primary holds 45 oz of fluid .. I think
When the dealer opened & checked it out they put new fluid back in but if it continues, Ill change it to something else. Maybe Ill add a few more oz's to see if that changes anything.

Ive posted this around on various boardsbut havent had any fixes or anyone that knows why it happens. Most seems to think its the auto-tensioner thats keeping the chain too tight. I do wish it had the older manual tensioner, at least I could adjust that one.

I guess I could flush the Redline out of the trans to check for metal .. Ive got one of the loud 5th gear trans so I expect some metal

The only thing it reminds me of is when I installed a HB125 tensioner in a friends 05, it whined until the shoe got mated to the chain

This New & Improved 07 SG sure has more little gremliins than my 98 FLHT had

Well... maybe someone has an answer.....

Jim
www.FastAire.com

Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ihave dont some work on my bike and have some thoughts on this area.
I know the primary oil is said to be mostly for cooling and all recomment 10-40 (75 wt) or 20-50 (75-90 wt.)
I think the new compensator and big sprokets can use higher weight oil than Red Line Primary. Pretty light oil. I did use that oil on my 08 and had a whine. Went to Amsoil 20-50 (which is about 90 wt gear oil.) No whine now but I am going to check a real gear oil later.
The adjusters seem OK and I wouldn't think about them but some folkshave recentely said high HP engins may force enough bend or slack into that spot to make the adjuster pull up one notch too much. Hummmm??? maybe? Caught just right? Maybe? Would make a whine if that happened.
Must be careful and use oil with no friction modifiers (cause clutch to slip) so I think I will try Amsoil EP 120 or so. The one NOT for limited slip.
My solftail takes 32 oz. I guess a dana takes more. The level should be, with bike on the Jiffy stand and the derby cover off, just even with the bottom of the pressure (spring) plate.
Just some thoughts

Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have formula+ (50w)in right now because the dealer took the case off and checked everything and could find nothing. Still as noisy as the redline MTL which is a 70w80 ( equal to a 5w25 motor oil). They retorqued the compensator nut and checked the chain & adjuster and shoe and inspected the clutch. All within spec and the chain was neither tight nor loose. They had the tech and the service manager both take the bike out and ride it and agreed I am not crazy or hearing things.

SO.......who knows maybe I have a noisy chain. But after2 oil changes and the case removed and cleaned and inspected.....I have the cleanest primary in town. Maybe I'll try a quart of syn3 20w50 because it has no moly in it. But the formula plus is a 50w and still noisy.

F**k it.......I'm just gonna ride the damn thing......maybe louder pipes will fix it...

Old 04-19-2008, 07:21 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 106 Posts

Well I found the problem to my rattling noise. Hopefully yours is as easy and inexpensive. Actually, it cost me nothing except a lot of my time. It was one of the cooling fin inserts on the left side of the motor. One of the allen bolts was loose causing the rattle and many a sleepless night. Needless to say all is good in my world now and the bike only makes the accepted Harley sounds and noises.