Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary rattle on 2002 Fatboy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Har lee
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary rattle on 2002 Fatboy...

Hello to all,
I am very puzzled. I have a 2002 Fatboy & I am hearing a rattling noise that is coming from the left side of the motor. I have adjusted the primary chain to what the shop manual says & we took the clutch apart & reassembled it & everything looks great with the clutch ,but it still sounds like the chain is slapping against something when you are running down the highway at about 60-70 MPH. I also hear it when you are shifting through the gears right before you shift at higher RPM's. Anyone that has any insight on this problem that could offer helpful advise would be great.

The bike runs great & it is very nerve racking to go down the road hearing this sound.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Har lee
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Primary rattle on 2002 Fatboy...

I am really at a loss for words now....I removed the Primary cover & everything looks great , nothing seems lose & I could really use some good advice.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:29 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Primary rattle on 2002 Fatboy...

MIne rattles like $hit too. Had the dealer pull the cover and measure everything. All in spec. I am experiementing with some different oils for the primary and will post my results. Formula+ seems to quiet it a bit but makes the clutch too grabby for me. I am goin to try a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and MT90 next week and see what happens. The MTL gives you a great clutch feel but is a bit thin with regard to noise abatement. The MT90 is the same thickness as a 75w90 gear oil but has no moly so it's safe for the clutch. Both mixed should give me about a 38w oil. Formula + is 50w.

BTW, I think the noise I am getting is a crappy roller chain. Nothing out of spec. just not the highest quality out there. If this continues I am going to find out who the chain supplier is and see if there is a better alternative out there. Borg Warner Automotive makes some very silent running automotive cam roller chains. Maybe they make this size. If so, I am yanking this POS and replacing it.