Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

clutch will not disengage

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:05 PM
joementz
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch will not disengage

I have a 67 xlch. i have had a problem with the clutch for about 4 weeks now. My problem is that I can adjust the clutch to release when the bike is cold. but once I get riding for about 5 miles. the clutch stays&nbsp\\; engaged. I have replaced all of the plates&nbsp\\;and springs inside of the clutch and triple checked all of the inside there. (made sure the pressure plate is releasing evenly.) I just ordered a new pressure plate. has anyone heard of the clutch hub expanding and causing this problem? any help would be great. thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: clutch will not disengage

[align=left]Clutch slips. Incorrect clutch release adjustment.[/align][align=left]Worn clutch plates.[/align][align=left]Check and adjust clutch release mechanism.[/align][align=left]Check service wear limits. Replace plates.[/align][align=left]Clutch drags Incorrect clutch release adjustment.[/align][align=left]Worn clutch release ramps or *****.[/align][align=left]Warped clutch steel plates.[/align][align=left]Blade worn or damaged clutch gear splines.[/align][align=left]Overfilled primary.[/align][align=left]Check and adjust clutch release mechanism.[/align][align=left]Replace release ramps and/or *****.[/align][align=left]Replace clutch steel plates.[/align][align=left]Replace clutch gear or hub as required.[/align]Drain lubricant to correct level.
&nbsp\\;
Did you soak the clutch plates in lubricant prior to assembly?