Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:33 PM
fattdog
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couldn't get the rotor off

Hey everyone, I went to install my new SE compensator and couldn't get the old rotor off because the inner primary was in the way. I started on friday afternoon after making a primary locking tool from 1/4 X 1 1/2 flat bar. Everything went well until I tried to get the old rotor off. I removed the clutch and old comp then, all of the inner primay bolts. I was able to pull the inner primary cover out and down and get the rotor almost off but never all the way. It looks like I will have to pull the inner primary all the way off and that is going to be a PITA. I think I will have to pull the starter and that requires removing the oil tank ( as far as I can tell ). Does anyone have any suggestions? (I really don't want to grind down the inside of the inner primary ) What really sucked was that I was going on a ride the next day early and ended up putting it back together without changing the comp because I didn't have time to pull the starter.

Respects,
Spanky

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good engineering , isn't it? Some have more interference than others. I machined about 1/16" in the contact area to just get it off on the softail. Most require inner removal. Dumb design.
Ron

Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

picked mine up today. man, those are some seriously heavy-duty spring discs. the whole unit is built like a brick crap house. a definitive upgrade. now, if only the guys at sohb would get the new wedge unit going i could get it all put together. also recieved the vp92 this week.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fattdog
Hey everyone, I went to install my new SE compensator and couldn't get the old rotor off because the inner primary was in the way. I started on friday afternoon after making a primary locking tool from 1/4 X 1 1/2 flat bar. Everything went well until I tried to get the old rotor off. I removed the clutch and old comp then, all of the inner primay bolts. I was able to pull the inner primary cover out and down and get the rotor almost off but never all the way. It looks like I will have to pull the inner primary all the way off and that is going to be a PITA. I think I will have to pull the starter and that requires removing the oil tank ( as far as I can tell ). Does anyone have any suggestions? (I really don't want to grind down the inside of the inner primary ) What really sucked was that I was going on a ride the next day early and ended up putting it back together without changing the comp because I didn't have time to pull the starter.

Respects,
Spanky
Don't know what bike you have but on mine I pulled all but one(loosened it off),tapped inner counter-clockwise, pivoting on last bolt and it dropped enough to get rotor off. Rock, you will like how that VP92 works.

Last edited by Lonewolf176; 01-10-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:29 PM
fattdog
Banned

Sorry I didn't include that ...I have an 08 heritage softail classic. I know some models like baggers have the oil bag under the trans which, should make it easier to remove the starter.

Respects,
Spanky

Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
rock92
Road Captain

lonewolf...ive been told by some trusted sources that the vp92 is the way to go and im sure it will be a good add ;-)

btw, all the primary work is the upfront homework for the HQ107 in the near future
:-0

Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 PM
redrazor
Intermediate
Talking Don't hold your breath!

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Don't know what bike you have but on mine I pulled all but one(loosened it off),tapped inner counter-clockwise, pivoting on last bolt and it dropped enough to get rotor off. Rock, you will like how that VP92 works.
This is exactly how I got my rotor to come out. I left the bolt in the center; behind the adjuster loose, and removed all the others; then used a wood block to bang on the back end of the starter to move the inner primary unit out from the eng/tranny just about 1/2 inch. Then I pried down gently on the front part of the inner primary to give me just enough clearance to get the rotor off.
Sounds kind of scary; but really no problem.

Here is the problem for us now .......... I talked to a very nice (knowledgeable) gal up at SOHB, and she said that the Hydraulic Chain Tension Adjusters for the newer ('07-'09) bikes won't really be ready until April or May!

I guess I will just wait to see; and then buy one for the late Spring "project".

good luck,

redrazor

Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 PM
rock92
Road Captain

ouch!!!...that'll leave a mark..lol

really didn't want to have to go in there twice. looks like i might have to now :-(

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM
1947 Knuckle
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a die grinder with a carbide burr made for cutting aluminum , I wrapped the rotor and clutch with rags and in 5 minutes I removed all the ridge that was cast in the inner primary.You don't need that extra ridge.You will notice that the new rotor is bigger in diameter. so grind the ridge flush.Also the Belleville spring washers are way too loose on the rotor and hub.There is .043" clearance on the rotor boss and .028" on the splined hub.I welded four beads about .0375" long at 90 degrees to the inner bore of washers and machined them .003" larger than than the rotor boss and hub diameter.If you install them loose they will rest eccentric and create an imbalance.I calculated that if they were all to one side, there would be a .12 ounce imbalance which amounts to 8.2 lbs of centrifugal force at 4000 rpm and .84 lbs at 2000rpm.Enough to make my dentures rattle, not as much as the bad crank I had HD replace at 2000 miles on my 2007 FLHX.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1947 Knuckle
I used a die grinder with a carbide burr made for cutting aluminum , I wrapped the rotor and clutch with rags and in 5 minutes I removed all the ridge that was cast in the inner primary.You don't need that extra ridge.You will notice that the new rotor is bigger in diameter. so grind the ridge flush.Also the Belleville spring washers are way too loose on the rotor and hub.There is .043" clearance on the rotor boss and .028" on the splined hub.I welded four beads about .0375" long at 90 degrees to the inner bore of washers and machined them .003" larger than than the rotor boss and hub diameter.If you install them loose they will rest eccentric and create an imbalance.I calculated that if they were all to one side, there would be a .12 ounce imbalance which amounts to 8.2 lbs of centrifugal force at 4000 rpm and .84 lbs at 2000rpm.Enough to make my dentures rattle, not as much as the bad crank I had HD replace at 2000 miles on my 2007 FLHX.
Yes, I noticed the piloting discreprency on the largest discs and correct, it will add a bit of shake. When I do the 113 I will also tig 4@90* for better alignment. I'll compress the spring disc and then do the dia check for what's needed for dia reduction with about .003-.005 at that spec. As in your case I used a die grinder initially and finished up with a drum sander. Looks quite good actually and no more bs from the primary when doing rotor ,stator, or main seal.
It would appear you cannot take something out of a box and use it as is I have the same disease.
Ron

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator