Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 AM
C-Cat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone on another forum had the same problem and posted pics, so i wanted to take a look. i'm was using f type atf with the se comp, now i've got trick sift in there, which is f type fluid also, if i'm correct.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It was requested that I post pics of my POS SE comp.

Here they are.

This was after 5k miles and was using Redline Primary Oil. FYI............. I removed the comp
and re-installed the stock comp. The red is steel that has been reduced to a powder by the wear inside of the bores. This wear causes 'fretting' which is similar in appearance to rust. What we feel is going on is that the inner bores do NOT receive any lube once installed. AFter a number of miles... the lube is gone.

There's a couple guys that have modified their SE Comps in an attempt to gain the inner bore some lube. If I see that works, I will buy a rebuild kit, drill as directed, and see if our 'home made' upgrade works.

Until then... it is the stock comp...... bang and all.

The SE caused a vibration and I didn't want that.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 10-06-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:47 PM
redrazor
Intermediate
Thumbs up Thanks for the photo, Faast Ed

I wondered about how to ensure the proper free play after installing the SOHB unit a while back too. This extra spring looks like it should work for my problem as well. Thanks so much for the idea and especially the photo. I'll let you know how it works for me when I get the time to make this mod.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redrazor
I wondered about how to ensure the proper free play after installing the SOHB unit a while back too. This extra spring looks like it should work for my problem as well. Thanks so much for the idea and especially the photo. I'll let you know how it works for me when I get the time to make this mod.
You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words!

Be careful not to go too long with the spring. You'll get some whine if you do. (I had to shorten mine 1/4" after the first try). The spring should not be putting any pressure on the wedge, when the wedge is in it's default position. It's only there to keep it from going backwards too much.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

...speechless...

Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Work Truck,

Thanks for the photos. I will keep this info and know what to look for, if mine ever gives me a problem. So far, no smelly oil and no sign of red,..... and no vibration.
I even use the redline fluid.

At least I won't panic and think "crank shaft" if I do get some vibes! LOL

BTW: Did you check your runout on that side?

Hard to tell from the pics, were the bores "out of round"?
You'd have to expect some were on the other mating surfaces, considering the rough surface they start with and the pressure against the moving mated surfaces.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:22 AM
countryal
Advanced

I had the SE comp installed in my 09 ultra/CSC Trike conversion after upgrading to the 103 engine. The stock comp looked terrible. It had banged from day one. Now I have a vibration that seems to get progressively worse as the engine heats up and I still have a loud bang when it cranks at times. I have taken it to the dealer to be checked and they said they checked the new SE comp(to the tune of $300) and found nothing wrong. I hate to say it but I wish now I had bought a HONDA. Here's some pictures of the original Comp.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Had the new unit installed in my '07 King a couple weeks ago & it's like night & day. No more starter knock, and no more jerky ride at slow speeds. Whole new bike.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

How 'bout that. The SE compensator (40274-08A) is now stock on all '12 Dyna and Softail models. An acknowledgment that the former stock part was bad? Or is it just required since the '12 also comes with the 103?