Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Towing on Rear Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:49 PM
BluegrassBuck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing on Rear Wheel

I searched the Forum for discussions on towing a Harley on the rear wheel like this and found 1 comment that the transmission may not lubricate if towed on the rear wheel. In neutral only a few parts would be moving so maybe this is true. Can anyone confirm or disprove whether there will be a lubrication problem if towed on the rear wheel 250-300 miles?

Yes I know trailers are for boats. I have to take my truck to the beach and by trailering I will be riding more; not less; because if I don't trailer it I won't be able to ride at all for a week. I don't think I've gone more than 2-3 days without riding - I could go into withdrawal [:@]

Thanks

Old 05-04-2006, 06:12 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Towing on Rear Wheel

I wouldn't do it.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. For short distances around I think it would be fine. But I wouldn't go long distance or on the highway. Consider renting an enclosed U-haul to carry the bike.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 PM
BluegrassBuck
Advanced

I called customer service and they said they think it would be OK but they wasn't sure because they never had this question asked before. I'm going to do more research and if I find the answer I'll post it here.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:48 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BluegrassBuck

I called customer service and they said they think it would be OK but they wasn't sure because they never had this question asked before. I'm going to do more research and if I find the answer I'll post it here.
Well since they said Ok.......the answer is definitely NO!

Old 05-05-2006, 03:36 PM
BluegrassBuck
Advanced

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

Dude backup your answer or keep it to yourself!

Old 05-06-2006, 01:14 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

Dude backup your answer or keep it to yourself!
My backup is this........many Fortune 1000 companies have their customer service people in India, Pakistan, and Central America. They do this because they only have to pay these people about $1.30/hr to answer customer complaints or technical questions. You want to tow a $15,000+ motorcycle by the front wheel for a long distance and wish to avoid the $2-300 Uhaul charge but don't mind risking a $2,000 transmission repair to do so based on the opinion of HAJI from India who says its' Ok? ARE YOU FRICKIN STUPID?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? but this is just all my HO.....now is that enough back up?

I'm sorry.....I mis-quoted.....its $.35/hr for a "customer service" person in corporate "America" today....so go ahead..tow the bike[8D]

Old 05-06-2006, 03:20 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 98 Likes on 41 Posts

Even if it is in netural the transmission shaft is turning unless you pull the belt or chain. And since the shaft doesn't float on air you will be running the bearings dry. And that is just stupid.

You can do it. But I wouldn't even think of it!

Old 05-06-2006, 04:35 PM
BluegrassBuck
Advanced

ORIGINAL: wlbowers

Even if it is in netural the transmission shaft is turning unless you pull the belt or chain. And since the shaft doesn't float on air you will be running the bearings dry. And that is just stupid.

You can do it. But I wouldn't even think of it!

Thanks Lee for keeping this techincal. After all the real question is will the shaft and/or gears that turn in neutral pickup any oil and splash it around. I'll pull out the service manual tonight and see if it shows enough detail to help determine the correct answer.

After all it would be stupit to do this and not be properly informed. And I've always heard there is no such thing as a stupit question.

Buck

Old 05-06-2006, 04:59 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 98 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't implying the question is stupid.

With the motorcycle tilted up on the front end the fluid level will be forced away from the front of the transmission case. As to how much of the gear cluster will be immersed is the $3000 question.

The way I see it the only way part of the gear assembly will get lub would be transfer from rotating gears. With the transmission in netural I don't know that there is a lot rotating.

You need to get Gunny in on this. "Shovelhead Bob" I bet he can tell you how much rotates in neutral.

Quick Reply: Towing on Rear Wheel