Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Removing transmission sprocket nut - use torch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Removing transmission sprocket nut - use torch?

Holy crap. OK, I got the special 2 1/4" socket from George's Garage in the mail today. Wow, fast shipping! I ran out to the garage and put on the little pilot piece and then the big socket. Attached my breaker bar to it and had my wife hold down really hard on the rear brake. I checked the service manual and it says this is a right-handed thread. So I tried VERY HARD to turn the nut counter-clockwise. Went so far as to STAND on the end of the breaker bar (I weigh about 185) and bounce up and down on it. I wasn't sure if my wife holding down on the brake was going to be enough but it did hold the sprocket stationary. That damn nut will not BUDGE. The service manual says to use RED LOCTITE when putting the nut back on... 35 lb-ft. I guess it's thread-locking compound that's keeping me from getting that nut off so far. Is heat the answer here? Hit the nut with a torch for 15-20 seconds or so and try again? That thing thinks that it is not coming off. Would using a torch be ok here? Or am I gonna mess something up if I heat the nut up? Any other ideas besides "use a longer cheater bar?" Thanks...
edit note: I just edited this post on 5/30/2010 to indicate the socket is 2 1/4" and NOT 2.5" like I originally stated.

Last edited by Shag67; 05-30-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:12 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That nut should be left hand thread ! clockwise off If you have to use a torch use a small propane 3 seconds max Better yet get a 1/2 in electric impact gun

Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

If the manual says 35 ft.lb. for the nut then you are looking in the wrong place in the manual...You may have it confused with the clutch hub nut.

Not sure what you are working on...give us a hint.

Not sure about the six speed boxes, but if you are working on a five speed, I bet you have the nut good and tight now...

I agree with you about Georges Garage fast shipping, when you hit the enter button on the computer, you hear the box hit the driveway outside the garage...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-25-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: I`m an old fart, I forget stuff...
Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 PM
DADDYO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That bolt is righty loosey,lefty tighty check out this link here
http://www.kenandjudy.us/Motorcycles...oralPage18.htm

Old 07-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Shag67
Road Master

Interesting responses... I'm talking about the transmission sprocket on a 6-speed '09 Street Bob. Page 5-18 of my service manual covers removal of the transmission sprocket. It shows using the special tool I just ordered. It says :
5. Remove transmission sprocket
a. See figure 5-39. Remove 2 screws and lockplate. (I looked at the figure and it looks exactly like what I see on my bike. I removed the 2 screws and the lockplate.)
b. See figure 5-40. Secure sprocket using FINAL DRIVE SPROCKET LOCKING TOOL. ...
NOTE: Sprocket nut has a right-hand thread. (it actually has right-hand in bold).
c. Install PILOT (this came with the special tool) on mainshaft.
d. Remove the sprocket nut using MAINSHAFT LOCKNUT WRENCH.

So my service manual CLEARLY STATES that this is a right-hand thread. This is going to **** ME OFF if I find out the service manual is wrong. Can someone else look in the service manual and verify what I'm saying is true? The link that was given above shows someone removing the nut on a '02 Ultra Classic. My bike is an '09 Dyna Street Bob. I'm REALLY WONDERING about whether or not this is right or left-hand thread but my service manual DOES say right hand and I'm not confusing this with the clutch hub nut. My clutch hub is on the floor and the inner primary is already off. Thanks for any further input.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:59 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Are there not enough threads showing to look and see whether it is right or left hand thread?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Manual is for the 06 Wide Glide but it does state in bold lettering that the “Sprocket nut has a right –hand thread.”

Old 07-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Shag67
Road Master

Originally Posted by overhead
Are there not enough threads showing to look and see whether it is right or left hand thread?
I'd say that the answer to that is very apparently NOT since there is disagreement on the answer. Thank you for your input. It was extremely helpful except for the part where it was a complete waste of time.
<---- sarcasm

Old 07-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I never had any success removing that nut using the hold the brake method, it seemed like it was going to damage the belt.

I just took the top cover off the transmission and locked the tranny by engaging two gears at once.

I think the locking tool is the best idea.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:34 AM
Shag67
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
If the manual says 35 ft.lb. for the nut then you are looking in the wrong place in the manual...You may have it confused with the clutch hub nut.

Not sure what you are working on...give us a hint.

Not sure about the six speed boxes, but if you are working on a five speed, I bet you have the nut good and tight now...

I agree with you about Georges Garage fast shipping, when you hit the enter button on the computer, you hear the box hit the driveway outside the garage...
About the 35 ftp-lbs. I'm looking at page 5-19 of my service manual which covers "Installation." It directly follows the "Removal" section and absolutely is talking about the transmission sprocket. It says:
NOTES:
The transmission sprocket nut has right-hand threads. Turn the nut clockwise to install on the main drive gear. (it has right-hand and clockwise both in bold text)
...skip down to step 5:
5. Using MAINSHAFT LOCKNUT WRENCH, tighten sprocket nut to 35 ft-lbs (47.5Nm) initial torque.
6. Loosen sprocket nut to remove initial torque.
7. Tighten sprocket nut to 35 ftp-lbs (47.5) Nm.

So since it's telling me to use 35 ft-lbs for reinstallation, I assumed that meant 35 lb-ft was what was used to initially install it, which is why I said I figured it was the thread-locking compound that was keeping me from being able to remove the nut so far. I'm reading the manual, guys, and I'm reading it carefully.

EDIT: I'm also NOT READING IT COMPLETELY, APPARENTLY. Further step down (which I haven't read until just now talks about turning the transmission sprocket nut an additional 35-45 degrees. Doesn't say what torque setting that will make me hit eventually but it will obviously be more than 35 lb-ft. MY MISTAKE. I am still VERY INTERESTED in two things here, though: Right or left-hand thread, and is it ok to use a torch for sure on the nut.

Last edited by Shag67; 07-26-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Removing transmission sprocket nut - use torch?