Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Aftermarket Primary Chain Adjuster 07 & up

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Want a much smoother shift with the 07-and up ?? check out the new SE Compensator.

Never had any trouble with the new design chain adjuster. Trouble seemed to be the Compensator.

Everybody said that was it during 2007 and 08 but there wasn't anything you could do about it. Now there is.

Talk about the pile in the corner.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
Want a much smoother shift with the 07-and up ?? check out the new SE Compensator.

Never had any trouble with the new design chain adjuster. Trouble seemed to be the Compensator.

Everybody said that was it during 2007 and 08 but there wasn't anything you could do about it. Now there is.

Talk about the pile in the corner.
Got the SE comp last year and yes it works great. Other than reduced shock and noise, my shifting stayed the same. What I'm finding with the locking ratchet for the harley auto tensioner is if it does move into the next click the chain is tighter than is inducive to softer shifts. Tight chain causes bearing drag on the inner clutch hub not allowing it to free wheel as easy when you pull the clutch in. This in turn causes stiff shifting usually with more clunk than I like. Once the chain settles in and it's running in the middle of adjustment things free up and it works better. Problem is now with less pressure on the adjuster the ***** chatters sometimes.
The wedge uses a constant spring pressure to take up the slack and fluid to dampen any sudden movements that tight and loose spots that any chain could have. My biggest concern is without a compression limit on the spring, I have to wonder if on a heavy decel it would push the shoe down to the point the top of the chain starts slapping the top of the primary. This is my only concern about it. Havn't seen one in person, but sure some form of limiter could be added to the wedge to keep the compressed position to a minimum if needed. I like the idea of having a constant uniform medium pressure than one that varies depending on how much shoe wear or chain stretch there is. Not sure if this is how Faast Ed sees this, but that's my take on the stock hd auto tensioner. It never over ratchets but at times it has too much tension to be perfect hot and cold. The contact areas on the wedge are also none metal which should kill the chatter sound as well.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 12-01-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Top tell you the truth, I have heard some sounds (on occasion) that mimic the sound of a too loose chain,.... but only upon certain conditions. Not hard decel (I avoid that for the crank sake), It's under just the right amount of accel. Light accel, if I recall correctly. Light accel right after a light decel? Aww he11, it's already been in the garage too long for me to remember precisely. Sounds like pebbles bouncing off the inside of my front fender. I'll know right away if the new hydr tensioner changes anything. (will be a month or two before install).

Now the chain does get too tight at times too. If I have an extra fun afternoon where I did a dozen WOT runs, I will get the whine for a while until things settle. Takes a while to go away. Weird stuff.