Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker DD6

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I've found (and read every post) on this thread through Google searches in the past.

Have you thought about renting a storage unit for the time you are doing the work? Find an indoor unit that your bike will be able to fit in and out of. Not a lot of foot traffic.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:04 AM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roy no the problem was never rectified using the Baker 28th sprocket just like many others I have talked to. Being I had to put a HD sidecar on mine do to my heath and being my only transportation I put the stock chain and sprocket in the noise went away. I and Burt Baker relieved the primary a lot and still had the noise with the Baker 28th sprocket. Yes to go back to a 25th sprocket you have to run a stock chain. If you go back to a stock 25th sprocket when in six gear it will be the same gear ratio as a stock 5 speed and you will have very low first throw third which is great when pulling a sidecar. Just my opinion but I wish I would have put my money elsewhere and not in a DD6 as with the Baker 28th tooth I only gained about 1 or 2 miles per gallon and maybe 300 to 400 RPM less at 70 MPH. I can buy a lot of gas for what the DD6 cost me.

All so since the last time I posted here the shift paw broke do to poor design but Burt and his wife replaced the part with an up dated shiftier paw at no charge but being my only transportation I was down for a couple of weeks.

I have talked to MANY others with the DD6 some have no problem and many do. Some like the DD6 and some do not. If you have any other questions let me know.

Originally Posted by Nobatterybox
Was the cause ever isolated? I have a DD6 in my 94 FLSTF and thought my compensator was making noise so opened everything up. I didn't realize I had the 28T sprocket and had purchased at 25T no way that was going in without a chain change.

I did figure out where my noise is coming from. The chain is contacting the inner primary where the front dowel is. I too tightened the adjuster but it makes everything too tight. I am going to clearance the inner primary to fix the problem. It seems that the 28T is just a bit too big. Unfortunately I can only work on my bike in the parking lot and we have a couple hurricanes coming so it will be a couple weeks.

Probably doesn't matter since this thread is 4 years old anyway.

Roy

QUOTE=46u;8129719]BIG difference between the OD6 and the DD6! The DD6 is the same in 6th gear as as stock 5th 1 to 1 and the OD6 is a true over drive. I agree unless you have a really power full motor the OD6 is WAY to much. I paid less then $2K for my DD6 NEW. I will agree after running one I would not recommend the investment but since I have it now I will get it where it makes me happy.

I do not have a problem with transmission noise just primary noise as it has helical cut 4th, 5th and 6th. Even Harley on their 6 speeds had problems with noise before going to helical cut gears.
Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Old 09-08-2015, 04:56 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobatterybox
Was the cause ever isolated? I have a DD6 in my 94 FLSTF and thought my compensator was making noise so opened everything up. I didn't realize I had the 28T sprocket and had purchased at 25T no way that was going in without a chain change.

I did figure out where my noise is coming from. The chain is contacting the inner primary where the front dowel is. I too tightened the adjuster but it makes everything too tight. I am going to clearance the inner primary to fix the problem. It seems that the 28T is just a bit too big. Unfortunately I can only work on my bike in the parking lot and we have a couple hurricanes coming so it will be a couple weeks.

Probably doesn't matter since this thread is 4 years old anyway.

Roy

QUOTE=46u;8129719]BIG difference between the OD6 and the DD6! The DD6 is the same in 6th gear as as stock 5th 1 to 1 and the OD6 is a true over drive. I agree unless you have a really power full motor the OD6 is WAY to much. I paid less then $2K for my DD6 NEW. I will agree after running one I would not recommend the investment but since I have it now I will get it where it makes me happy.

I do not have a problem with transmission noise just primary noise as it has helical cut 4th, 5th and 6th. Even Harley on their 6 speeds had problems with noise before going to helical cut gears.
Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Clearance the primary it will take care of it.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearance the primary it will take care of it.[/QUOTE]

Yes I would try that first. Mark whey you and Burt where here and we clearance my primary sorry to say it help but did not cure the noise and others have said the same. So of the problem I feel is the primary chains Backer uses as they are not like the diamond chains with the better side plates.

Like I said I fixed all the noise in mine going back to the stock 25th tooth stock sprocket manly because I put a HD sidecar on it. works great for me because it is a very low first, second and third which is great when I am packed up and total weight with drive is in the neighborhood of 1,700 to 1,800 hundred pounds. Bike and sidecar is about 1,100 with out driver. She only has 111,000 miles on her and plain on building a bigger motor if she ever wears out then I might try the bigger sprocket again or go to a Backer 27th sprocket. Wish someone made a 26th as I would try that now.
Please keep us posted on how things work out.