Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Primary Oil leak?

Last year I rode to and from Daytona and noticed an oil leak at the front of the primary cover. I had replaced all the gaskets when I was previously in there and I just couldn't find the source of the leak!

Instead of buying or chroming my inner primary. I went the cheaper way and purchased the inner primary chrome cover. I had placed thin rubber ( 2 sided tape) between this cover and inner primary case to prevent any rubbing or noises it may cause from vibrations.

Where this cover getsattached to the front of the inner primary with thesocket head bolt that also holds the primary coverit it's place. This is where I was seeing this black colored oil coming from.

Turns out, That it wasn't oil leaking. Since I spaced thechrome cosmetic cover from coming in contact with inner primary. Coupled with the heat that you normally get from this part of the engine. Condensation takes place and with the normal vibration and where this cover was attached with the primary's socket head screw. It did minimal rubbing on the aluminum casing there. The black looking oil or liquid was a result of condensation mixed withaluminum dust.

I was relieved to find thats all it was and fixedthat. Can you imagine how much ashop would have charged me for that? Let alone, being honest that it wasn't an oil leakin the first place!

This Forum is a great place to share experiences and a hell of a lot cheaper than just dropping it off at a shop!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Primary Oil leak?

Thanks for the info, was thinking about one of these. Glad to hear it didn't cost you an arm & leg to figure this out.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Primary Oil leak?

I have never been a big fan of chrome covers if you can get a real chrome part. Seems like too much trouble. I have the lower belt guard cover and it seems like a stupid idea versus just getting a chrome lower belt guard.