Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

[NEED HELP]Rare clunking noise from Transmission or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
yuandp
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [NEED HELP]Rare clunking noise from Transmission or Clutch?

Hello,

I have a rare trouble on my 2008 FLHR's transmission or clutch. the odometer is 5000 mile.
When I shift into low and engage half-clutch, the transmission or clutch make regularly clang noise. the noise like hitting gear tooth by backlash. but I'm not sure.
If I engage clutch completely or gripping clutch full, the noise disappeared. only it makes the noise while a half-clutch.
And in neutral, there is no noise even a half-clutch.
There is no effect to riding the motorcycle except the noise but sometimes I feel the engage point of clutch lever differ from time to time.

So far I talked this symptom to 2 different HD official dealers but both said, they never listen the symptom and no idea of it.
I asked neighbor HD dealer to open the primary and transmission to check it.
Now they opened the primary and retighten the clutch nut and primary nut, however the noise is not disappeared.
Should be opened the transmission next.

Have anyone had this kind of symptom? Which part of mechanism should be checked?

Any helps and idea are appreciated.

Thanks
Yu

Last edited by yuandp; 03-06-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: correct the odo
Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

It's normal they all do that. It is the centrifugal force and weight of the mainshaft coming to a stop. The shaft weighs 6.8 pounds and is spinning at 2000 rpm's or more. As you have noticed if you fully engage the clutch before putting it in gear the noise is lessened that is because you are giving the mainshaft time to slow down before engaging it into gear.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
yuandp
4th Gear

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the comment.
It's hard to tell the noise by words. The noise is very loudly and cyclic. It's like carpenter striking a nail.
I could take a movie but the tranny is opened now.

I asked this noise in HOG touring. There are over 30 members but no body had the noise. I checked other 2008 FLHR which my friend has, it doesn't make that noise.

Do you know any weak point of 2008 tranny?
Where should I check check in this kind of case? gear? main shaft bearing? shifter dram?

Thanks
Yu

Old 03-07-2014, 01:58 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Were you only pulling the clutch half way in on your friends bike? I have never heard a 07 Harley or later model that didn't clunk going into first gear. My advice hold the clutch in for 3-4 secs before putting in gear. I would say the weakest spot on that trans is the retaining rings holding the bearings in on the right side we use a steel plate to retain them so the can not move.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:31 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

My guess would be something with the Compensator, I had some strange noises coming from my primary case when my comp was worn. I had taken the bike in for a new stator and told them I thought the comp. was bad but they put it back together and said all was well. Another 5k miles later the noise was worse and this is what I found; never spent another dime in that dealership.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 PM
yuandp
4th Gear

Dealer said they opened transmission and couldn't find a cause of the noise. On the contrary the transmission is almost like a new.
And they ask me to allow closing it without "fixing" and charge me $1000;(

Actually, they just took out the transmission. didn't take gears apart from main shaft. clutch also. they just retighten a clutch nut. not analyzed.

I'm worried about how to cope with the situation. should I talk them to take all apart and analyze it with casting more money or give up fixing the strange noise?

Eric thanks.
I told Dealer the compensator trouble. they said me "it can't be" without any check....:/
I just couldn't believe their correspondence.
Would you tell me more info about the symptoms if you have a time?

thanks

Last edited by yuandp; 03-09-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
yuandp
4th Gear

Today, I visited dealer and saw the parts.
It was very clean and couldn't find any defect by my checking also.
I asked them to take clutch apart and they did it in front of me, however there is no damage.
Next time, I asked them to take all gears apart. but I think it looks really clean and no lack, worn.
I took some photo of it.

The strange noise is only visible when I engage clutch half and the sound is very high tone. like hitting a fry pan.
I couldn't find the source of the sound. mechanic said it maybe from dog rings.
But I don't agree with it, every bike has dog rings and doesn't make the noise and the sound of engaging dog ring is low tone.
I have no idea where the noise come from....MYSTERY....

Thanks
Yu

Attached Thumbnails [NEED HELP]Rare clunking noise from Transmission or Clutch?-2014-03-10-23.50.55.jpg   [NEED HELP]Rare clunking noise from Transmission or Clutch?-2014-03-10-23.50.24.jpg   [NEED HELP]Rare clunking noise from Transmission or Clutch?-2014-03-10-23.50.46.jpg  

Last edited by yuandp; 03-10-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Satsun Harley
1st Gear

If your tranny was sick it wouldn't hesitate to make metal (mag Plug would look like a full beard ), no metal GOOD. Primary you might see slight metal on mag plug from compensator Normal. Sounds like a normal Harley at this point. Get out and ride .

Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 PM
yuandp
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Satsun Harley
If your tranny was sick it wouldn't hesitate to make metal (mag Plug would look like a full beard ), no metal GOOD. Primary you might see slight metal on mag plug from compensator Normal. Sounds like a normal Harley at this point. Get out and ride .
Thanks Satsun,

Yah, There is no metal on it. mechanic also said so when he drained oil both of primary and tranny.
Thanks for gave me relief
I must enjoy riding!!

Yu

Old 03-11-2014, 04:51 AM
yuandp
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Were you only pulling the clutch half way in on your friends bike? I have never heard a 07 Harley or later model that didn't clunk going into first gear. My advice hold the clutch in for 3-4 secs before putting in gear. I would say the weakest spot on that trans is the retaining rings holding the bearings in on the right side we use a steel plate to retain them so the can not move.
Hi Mark,

Sorry, I overlooked your comment.
Yes, I'm not talking about the sound of clunk into first gear. sorry about my bad explanation.
The noise comes when I'm going to engage clutch half to go after setting into first gear. And it makes noise in every gears from 0 to go.

The service manual said don't reuse retaining ring in many section in tranny.
So I believe the mechanic replace it when he rebuild it.

I am now expecting that the symptom is disappeared after rebuild everything hopefully maybe pipe dream haha

Thanks
Yu

Quick Reply: [NEED HELP]Rare clunking noise from Transmission or Clutch?