Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Need VPC advice from my fellow HDFers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need VPC advice from my fellow HDFers

So I decided to invest in a VPC 84T (replaces the 83T). My mechanic called AIM yesterday and they recommended keeping the stock spring with the setup. I have been following others here that have the setup and almost all add the SE spring. I thought the spring and the VPC served two different functions. One engaged and disengaged, the other just made it come in quicker when throttled hard.

So I guess my question is, should I upgrade to the SE spring or leave the stock one in. We passed my bikes stats to the tech at AIM and he said to stay with the stock spring.... I am making about 100hp/109tq on the dyno. I also have the Barnett 10 friction/9 steel disks used by several other forum members.

So what should I do? I drop it off Monday.

Benji

P.S>AIM is having a special sale on several of their setups, mine was $220!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:54 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need VPC advice from my fellow HDFers

witht he hp/tq you have, I am surprised you don't have the SE clutch spring anyway (or some other brand).

I really don't have an answer for you - I can tell you I have no doubt there are a sch!tload of folks out there with the VPC and different clutch spring. I haven't installed my VPC yet, but I do have the SE clutch spring. I have never heard anything regarding your question before.
Over at another site one of the guys that helped design that unit hangs out, I actually bought mine direct from him. I can't for the life of me remember his username, and I don't have his email. If you are interested, PM me and I will tell you where he hangs.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:04 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx for the reply. I reposted my issue in the bagger forum, where the VPC seems popular and got some answers, plus a few more questions. I never changed mine when I did the 95". It never seemed to come up between my builder and me. So I didnt know. Now I am having some "sliding" between gear shifts, so I am having the disks and spring replaced and adding the VPC for added... something!

It should be in today and installed in the next few days.

Benji

Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
zeamic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the VPC, there's no real need for the heavier spring. it will take all you can dish out to it.