Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 AM
The_Drifter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
They indeed look good and fit well. But there are no armor plates which is too bad I think.
Wrong...look again.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/mensjackets.phtml

Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 AM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello all,

As I am planning on buying my first Harley next Spring, I am shopping for all kind of stuff and I thought well I should have a good leather jacket to ride my beautiful Harley.

Harley leather jackets look really good but are also very pricey. For a forth of the price one can buy a jacket from another brand with the same kind of protections (elbow, shoulder, etc.).

I would like to wear a HD jacket but I just wonder if it's really worth the dollars? Does any of you have bought a jacket not from Harley? If so, where and how much? Some links would be helpful.

Voony.

P.S. I don't like to buy clothes online because you cannot try them and it's a pain in the butt to return what you bought and etc.
In the past I have purchased 2 "American" made HD jacket and 1 Foxcreek for my wife. The older HD jackets I have are as good if not better qaulity than the FC jacket. Below is my for sale post for the extra HD jacket I have for sale . The only reason I'm selling my spare jacket is because my original shows no signs of wearing out after 10 years.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gear-...er-jacket.html

Old 01-01-2010, 12:00 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They indeed look good and fit well. But there are no armor plates which is too bad I think.
WRONG

Sorry but they can have armor in them. Look again at there website.

If you really want a HD jacket go for it. Nothing wrong with them at all. You asked for opinions and your getting them. I have both, (FC & HD) No comparison.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Drifter
I'm sorry but I've checked most of the jackets on the website and it says that armor plates are not included. It says there are pockets for armor plates that apparently you can purchase in addition to the jacket. But then the armor plates are $125 extra which brings the price of the jacket very high.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dh2683
WRONG

Sorry but they can have armor in them. Look again at there website.

If you really want a HD jacket go for it. Nothing wrong with them at all. You asked for opinions and your getting them. I have both, (FC & HD) No comparison.
I'm grateful that you gave me your opinion. I didn't say HD ones are better because I don't own one. This is why I'm asking. Once again, I checked the FC website and most of the time it says armor plates not included or in the description tab says "reinforced = none".....maybe I am missing something

Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
ridzalot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what you want to do. I have a winter H-D jacket that is black and a summer one that is orange. Everyone says they can see me a mile away when I wear the orange jacket. I wear what I want as I am 62 and don't care what others think. I also wear a full face helmet every ride. As you can see I ride a Sportster. I ride alone. When I was younger it bothered me somewhat being different. Now I really enjoy it. Safe riding in the coming year. Happy New year to all.

Last edited by ridzalot; 01-01-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno if it's worth the money to you or not. I got one for Christmas 14 years ago and I love it. I've done a lot of hard riding with it over the years and it's still going strong.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm grateful that you gave me your opinion. I didn't say HD ones are better because I don't own one. This is why I'm asking. Once again, I checked the FC website and most of the time it says armor plates not included or in the description tab says "reinforced = none".....maybe I am missing something
Your right Armor is extra with FC. If you are looking for a jacket with armor you can also look at some of the Tourmaster Jackets that have full armor. Great products also. I just wanted you to understand if you want the protection of PREMIUM LEATHER go with Fox Creek. If you want Leather with armor nothing wrong with HD jackets.If you can find one of the old USA MADE HD Jackets for sale online grab it. Great Jackets. Way better than the current china stuff

Last edited by dh2683; 01-01-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

The Fox Creek web site appears to indicate that two of their current jackets and one that they are discontinuing have the option of adding armor. For the rest, armor does not appear to be an option.

The one jacket on their web site that I like is the Bomber. The jacket ($452), plus back ($125) and arm/shoulder armor ($65) totals out to $642. I would hope that this would be a high quality jacket for that price.

Personally, I would not purchase another jacket without armor.

A leather jacket is nice but can be warm on a summer day. If you can afford it, I would suggest you consider buying some type of mesh jacket with armor for summer riding and a leather jacket with armor for cooler days.

Don't forget a good pair of gloves and possibly some type of leg protection, again with armor.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:24 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Worth or value are individual determinations. I would say they are a bit overpriced, as is pretty much anything sporting a logo.

As for being a good jacket - in comparing HD jackets to other brands, I have noticed HD puts a lot of nice little extras and touches into their designs. Not anything that really matters in terms of protection or use, but more like things that make the jacket easier to wear, use or live with. In that respect, I would say they are very good jackets.

Of course, if you just want a good leather jacket with an HD logo, you can buy any jacket you like and have an HD patch sewn on it.

Quick Reply: HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?