Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?

Hello all,

As I am planning on buying my first Harley next Spring, I am shopping for all kind of stuff and I thought well I should have a good leather jacket to ride my beautiful Harley.

Harley leather jackets look really good but are also very pricey. For a forth of the price one can buy a jacket from another brand with the same kind of protections (elbow, shoulder, etc.).

I would like to wear a HD jacket but I just wonder if it's really worth the dollars? Does any of you have bought a jacket not from Harley? If so, where and how much? Some links would be helpful.

Voony.

P.S. I don't like to buy clothes online because you cannot try them and it's a pain in the butt to return what you bought and etc.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master

Since I have one, I'm going with yes.

Reflective Skull jacket. Even if it wasn't a gift, I would have figured out how to get one.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:27 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

Absolutely... Love mine

Old 01-01-2010, 10:36 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default I have the FXRG

I too like my HD coat. I got my FXRG off Craigs list.... if you use the search option, you can find a lot of discussion here on leather coats. Many like foxcreek leathers and and others like different vendors.

Anotehr option for you is to use some of the online Harley shops offer 20% off online purchases. Get you model and size from a local dealer...

Good luck...

Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 AM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

You're going to get a lot of comments on both sides of the fence on this one. Everyone will have their own reasons and justifications for buying what they want. I have a HD leather jacket hanging in my closet and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on buying it. The reason I bought it is a simple one ..... I wanted it.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
amilew135 (03-31-2021)
Old 01-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by luc.who
I too like my HD coat. I got my FXRG off Craigs list.... if you use the search option, you can find a lot of discussion here on leather coats. Many like foxcreek leathers and and others like different vendors.
I checked fox creek leathers and they cost the same price as HD ones and have no armor plates in it

Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's plenty of great jackets out there, of equal (or better) quality. I personally don't like leather with logos, but a nice thing about buying a MoCo logo jacket (if you get a cut that doesn't look like Marlon Brando should be wearing it)...wearing it when off the bike as a regular jacket it's a nice conversation starter with other Harley owners (but not as costly as buying an F150 HD tribute model).

Maybe I don't like mfg logos because I ride three different brands, and don't want to be listening to my ******* friends ribbing me about wearing the wrong jacket on a particular bike.

The following users liked this post:
ME B (03-04-2022)
Old 01-01-2010, 11:20 AM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voony
I checked fox creek leathers and they cost the same price as HD ones and have no armor plates in it
Really no comparison between Fox Creek & HD leather coats. FC is a hand made, custom fit, made in the USA work of art that will last a LIFETIME. Most HD coats are mass produced in China & half the quality of FC. I have owned both & there is no comparison of the quality of the two.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dh2683
Really no comparison between Fox Creek & HD leather coats. FC is a hand made, custom fit, made in the USA work of art that will last a LIFETIME. Most HD coats are mass produced in China & half the quality of FC. I have owned both & there is no comparison of the quality of the two.
They indeed look good and fit well. But there are no armor plates which is too bad I think.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:31 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Buy what you want. My jacket is 10 years old and was made locally in San Jose, CA and is not a Harley logo or Harley brand jacket. The quality of the leather is excellent and was much less than the "Made in China" Harley jackets.

Quick Reply: HD Leather Jackets: Worth the Bucks?