Revolution Max The new Revolution Max forum

22 nightster RH975T starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 11:12 AM
nightcore
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Good news

Hello all. Potential good news. I received this shortly ago from Harleys media group.Hi Corey –

I wanted to let you know that the software update to resolve the “no start” issue is available in all Dealers Digital Technician Software as of this morning.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:16 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Did they let you know how to get a non starting bike to the dealer though? lol!!

Old 08-30-2022, 11:38 AM
nightcore
Intermediate

lol no unfortunately.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:13 PM
nightcore
Intermediate

More specific answer:
Harley-Davidson has released a software update that will address the software concern that occurred with some RH975 Nightster motorcycles. This software update is available for dealers to install using Digital Technician and instructions are available in the Service Bulletin M1562, which is available to Harley-Davidson Dealers for reference

Old 08-30-2022, 02:25 PM
nightcore
Intermediate

@Andy from Sandy Just in case you missed it though, if you do experience the no start simply pull the fuse and put it back in. The bike will start. You should never need a tow for this bike even if it has the no start.

The following users liked this post:
Andy from Sandy (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 02:27 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,408 Posts

As an ex programmer I find it odd that a software problem doesn't affect all bikes unless during programming the ECMs HD had two versions on the go.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:37 AM
keeponrunning
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
As an ex programmer I find it odd that a software problem doesn't affect all bikes unless during programming the ECMs HD had two versions on the go.
I agree, if it was software, why does replacing control modules fix it, unless the software update tells the bike "if you see this error, ignore it". Which may be what they are choosing to do.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:25 PM
PBlomme
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How long did they have your bike?

I have had my bike 6 weeks. Of that it has been to two different dealers for a total of 3 weeks now. Because it is so new has anyone asked for compensation? Money back? New bike? The riding year is so short here as it is, I bought a brand new one so I wouldn't have to deal with mechanical issues yet.

Old 09-08-2022, 02:08 PM
nightcore
Intermediate

What issues has it been in the shop for?

Old 09-19-2022, 09:08 AM
Axel2261
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Issue

Originally Posted by Myers92
Purchased the bike less than a month ago. 2022 Harley Nightster RH975T with 6 miles on it.

I rode the bike under normal conditions in Mesa, Arizona. A week after I purchased the bike and less than 100 miles of riding, I experienced a no start condition. I went to leave work one and the bike wouldn’t crank to start. I could flip the ignition switch on (key fob start no key) and attempt to press the start button. Absolutely nothing would happen when you pressed the button on top of the ignition switch to start it. I changed the battery in the key fob just to make sure it wasn’t that, it didn’t change anything.

I contacted the dealership I purchased the bike from, they promptly picked it up and took it back to the dealership. They called me the next day and told me the bike was ready to be picked up. When I picked the bike up the service manager advised me that the no start condition, along with 11 DTC’s were caused bike a lose connection going to one of the modules on the bike and they fixed the issue by simply reconnecting the plug(s) and re routing the wiring harness to help prevent the issue from happening again.

I took the bike home that day and continued to ride it for another week following that issue. Less than 9 days after the original incident occurred, I went to leave work and the bike wouldn’t start. (Less than 200 miles on the bike still at this point). I immediately contacted the dealership again, explained it was the same issue again. (Had the contact the GM of the dealership I purchased the bike from because I wasn’t able to contact anyone in the service department after several attempts for the entire day following the bike not starting again)

The dealership picked up the bike the following day (the same day I was able to contact the GM of the dealership about the problem with the bike)

I’m putting this information on here, asking if anyone else has recently purchased a 22’ Nightster recently and wondering if they have experienced any issues like this.

It’s now been 4 days since the dealership has picked up the bike for the second time for the same issues and no one from the dealership has even attempted to contact me to update me on the condition of the bike.

any advice or information would be very helpful, thank you.

I just had a different experience with my bran new Nightster. While driving all my warning lights started flashing even my headlights were flashing engine also shut down and almost instantly restarted itself. Very scary when it happened going down a freeway. Stopped on the side off the road turn it off and on seems to work better until same thing happened. I made it home but everything is lighting up like Christmas lights. Dealership opens tomorrow so I’ll be there when they open now I just hope it turns on if not I learned how to get it started from this thread so thank you all for sharing. So far I have 900 miles when this happened to me. Other than that I have loved the bike so far. Hopefully they can fix it the first time around….

Last edited by Axel2261; 09-19-2022 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 22 nightster RH975T starting issues