Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Key West

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I imagine when riding through Florida one has to keep a eye out for Alligators
here in the wet we have to watch out for deer I would not like to run over a sleeping Alligator

Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior

I thank all you guys that have answered my post you have some good suggestions

Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,365 Likes on 10,708 Posts

Originally Posted by leon anthony
MY brother and my self are planning a trip from Calif ornia to Key West this coming June. I was talking about it to my daughter in law and she said the over the sea road was a toll road does any one know if this is so
None as of a few months ago except for 1 bridge mostly only locals take and know about on Card Sound Road 100 yds after Alabama Jacks. The toll is $1.00.

Taking Card Sound Road is a NICE ride although abt 7 miles longer since it loops around a little bit. It also skirts a common back up of traffic.

If you go to Petersons (clothes only as another chap already mentioned) diagonally across the street is Hogs Breath Saloon. They have a LIVE CAM if u have fols back home u want to say hi too.

Also the SOUTHERN MOST POINT in the USA marker is nearby if u want to get a PIX there. <-- Pretty cool.

I can give u more info on this stuff if u so request.

If u need a HD dealer, also Petersons, there are 2 of them in Miami and is easy to look up.

Be careful coming across Florida be it Tamiami Trail (US41) or I-75 due to gators and such. FUEL up b4 crossing is also a good idea.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-28-2014, 09:40 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am also planning a trip to the Keys this summer with a couple of buds. We would like to make our way down from the Chicago area by way of the Great River Road, following the Mississippi river down to the Gulf. Then following the coast around to the southern tip of Florida and down to the Keys. Thanks for all the great info and recommendations.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:01 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior

MARVINCBR
We will be heading east from California probably passing through New Orleans around the 13th of June

Old 12-28-2014, 07:25 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We haven't gotten that far into our planning yet, most likely July. Myself and two others will be taking our bikes down and meeting our wives either in Miami or the Keys. The wives will be flying down to Miami and renting a car to take to the Keys. Will probably spend a few days there and then head back home possibly stopping by the Tail of the Dragon on the way.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've never had to avoid an alligator in the middle of the road, but I'm sure its happened, especially down in the Everglades. But also be aware there will be plenty of deer, wild hogs, & bear all the way down through the state.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:29 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
I am also planning a trip to the Keys this summer with a couple of buds. We would like to make our way down from the Chicago area by way of the Great River Road, following the Mississippi river down to the Gulf. Then following the coast around to the southern tip of Florida and down to the Keys. Thanks for all the great info and recommendations.
I know the River Road sounds like a good plan but I did it from New Orleans to Iowa a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed, in fact I discovered later the prettiest parts are from Iowa north. You are riding right along the River most of the time but most of it has flood walls now and you can't see the river. There are a couple places in Kentucky etc. that aren't bad but not good enough to make the trip IMO.

You could come down to Nashville and pick up the Natchez Trace and take it to Natchez, Mississippi. I've never done it but know it's real scenic with lots of history. I've been told though from EVERYONE thats done it it's real slow, there are lots of bicycles and most the people I've known that have done it bailed before they rode the whole thing. I don't know your riding habits though, some love the history of it and you may as well. I will say if you haven't been and have the time I'd make a stop in New Orleans for a couple days, it's like nowhere else you've ever been!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:32 PM
jharraid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No tolls two years ago. Great time to be had in KW.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:31 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior

I thank all youse guys for the information

Quick Reply: Key West